Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS set-up

paddi1972
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

wondering if anyone can help me , im trying to set-up QOS for our new VOIP phone system , but im  abit lost with the config , well really lost

i am using the CCP to configure and the QOS wizard , but im unsure if i should be DSP or NBAR and also what the percentages on the next page are , i have attached a screenshot of the pages ,

any help on this would be great

Paddi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You don't want to do policing.  The percentages are based on the size of your circuit and how much VoIP traffic you want to guarantee.  For example, if you have a 20Mb/s circuit and want to guarantee 2Mb/s for VoIP then the percentage would be 10%.

If you have no idea then I guess just run with the default values being suggested.

Does you phone system DSCP mark the traffic (I hope so)?  If it does, use that option.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You don't want to do policing.  The percentages are based on the size of your circuit and how much VoIP traffic you want to guarantee.  For example, if you have a 20Mb/s circuit and want to guarantee 2Mb/s for VoIP then the percentage would be 10%.

If you have no idea then I guess just run with the default values being suggested.

Does you phone system DSCP mark the traffic (I hope so)?  If it does, use that option.

thanks for the Reply Phillip,

the 3CX VOIP system does do DSCP Value of 46 , but the wizard doesnt ask for anything regarding a value

we have a 100/100MB line so was thinking 10-15% (10-15MB) would be enough ,

i'm taking im leaving the second page as defaults (all blank ) ?

Paddi

DSCP is an industry standard, and I'm sure the Wizard will use it by default, so that is ok.

Yes, leave the second page (Policing) blank.  You do not want to do policing.

If you use G.711, and on the wire each call uses up 96Kb/s of bandwidth, then 10Mb/s would give you around 104-106 concurrent calls.

thanks for that , we only have 80 phones , so 15mb will be plenty

can i ask you , when i setup the nat  for the ports, do i need to set up NAT rules for each in both directions as well ?

can seem to get connected properly ??