Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding HWIC and CUE

gold_sprinter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am new to cisco and this forum.

Currently we have a 2821 router connected to 16 ATA186 devices. This is being deplyed on a client site and we have to add it to their existing rack system. They are looking to have both data and voice on site. The system that we are testing works but there are way to many Cat5 and RJ11 cables being used. It doesn't look professional at all.

This is an alternative setup that I am looking to deploy on this site but I am unsure if it is possible.

The 2821 router has CME and 1 NM-CUE unit with I believe 512mb of storage for on it. Is it possible to add 4 "VIC3 4fxs/DID" cards in the available HWIC slots and have them use the unity express for voicemail?

Or does the unity express only work on ATAs or Cisco digital phones?

Thanks in advance,

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unity express works with anything.

To cleap wiring, you can also use an EVM cards that has 8 ports, plus possibily of 2x 8 ports expansions. These can go with an RJ21 cable to the distributuin block.

Note that doing Cisco UC the proper way is not easy so your best choice would be to work with a reputable consultant, or UC certified Cisco partner.

Thanks Paolo, my partner in this project has been working with Cisco for a long time (not certified yet though) and he is comfortable with most all scripting. I however am not but I am looking to learn a little more on my own, I figured it would be easier to script each voice port to point at the CUE somehow rather than use the excessive amount of ATA's currently being used.

The problem is that management wants me to prove that this way works before being deployed. It is not like it is a competition but the ATA system was my partners and I am looking for the cleaner install.

My partner is a great person but he is a "If I didn't think of it, than it's not a good idea" kinda guy (If that makes sense)

I am looking to prove this way works, and will make the company look better in the eyes of the client if the install is clean.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  I am sure that if I can show my partner that it is possible he will be onboard and help with the scripting.

Thanks again

There is actually nothing to prove. These are regular voice cards and support everything an ATA does, and much more.

Supporting analog using  ATAs in the same rack where the router is, is simply a mistake.

Note, having devices work is called configuring. Scripting is something else.