cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Not enough bandwidth" Steps to Identify and resolve?

ironman
Level 1
Level 1

"Not enough bandwidth" Steps to Identify and resolve?

We are a non-profit healthcare with 12 locations. We have T1s to each location.

Some sites will get the above error message. I need to get a help hand in the steps to identify and resolve this big issue. When this happens it might happen for hours. Even afftects in-comming calls (we think).

Bill Branch

North Country HealthCare

Director of Information Technology

O: 928.774.8254

C: 928.607.9746

14 Replies 14

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That message is related to the location BW you have allocated and it means it's exhausted.

Call admission control operates by rejecting a  call for bandwidth and policy reasons. When a call gets rejected due to  call admission control, the phone of the called party does not ring, and  the caller receives a busy tone. The caller also receives a message on  their phone, such as "Not enough bandwidth."

Call Admission Control

Above link explains how this works and how locations and regions play together for this.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk
HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

srsivara
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What kind of Call Admission Control (CAC) mechanism do you have setup on CallManager ? If just Location BW values is used to do CAC, the 'Not Enough Bandwidth' means that either / both of the location(s) associated with the current call being made doesn't have enough BW to allow the call.

What version of CallManager are you running ? There have been some Location BW leaks in the past. During a scheduled maintenance window, you can browse to System > Locations, browse to each Location, and resync Bandwidth. You can start collecting detailed CCM traces (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094e89.shtml#calm and https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8130) from the point of BW resync, and check if there is a location BW leak.

- Sriram

I am looking into those questions now...I will post them ASAP when I get them. Thanks for your slice of time!

Bill Branch

North Country HealthCare

njachiet
Level 1
Level 1

Bill,

Usually this message appears when there is not enough bandwidth configured/available between locations. The first thing I would do is to verify if it is correct.

Out of Bandwidth message means you have that phone in a Location in
CallManager and all bandwidth to that location is tied up (as far as
CallManager is concerned). Either:

1) Assign more bandwidth to that location under System -> Location
2) Go to Device - Phone, look up user's phone and remove the location (set
to ), 
3) Configure AAR to re-route via the PSTN

Workaround:

Another way to do this would be to use the Locations feature in CallManager.
It's in the System menu in CCMAdmin. When there is not enough bandwidth left
between locations, then the phone will display "Not Enough Bandwidth" and
they will be required to manually dial the number again through another
path.

Here's the SRND for CUCM 7.x for your future reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/uc7_0.html

If you really want the details on it, the best it to get the Cisco Callmanager logs, and post it. I can try to have a look at it.

Nick

Seriously helpful! I will have some logs when time permits. Unbelieveably helpful!

Bill Branch

North Country HealthCare

Are there specific names to these logs?

Bill Branch

North Country HealthCare

Could you just confirm that you have increased the bandwidth? Which version of CUCM do you use?

Nick

BW has not been upgraded

...same T1s...or are you asking any change in WAN BW throughout the network? Yes, but not to the affected sites

The logs are "Cisco Callmanager service" at the arbitrary level.

It contains SDI and SDL logs.

OK, I have the logs Nic. How can I get these to your Cisco email safely...don't you guys have a secure FTP?

As for version we use 7.1.3.20000-2.

Bill,

You can upload the files there: ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/incoming. Just make sure to give the following name to the file:

20101015.zip and to provide the call details.

Regards,

Nick

Nic...can you check the ftp link...not able to connect to incomming...can access the  ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com but cannot do any actions from there.

Nic...thanks

here is my email

bbranch@nc-it.org