Views
Helpful
Replies

Register phone on sub in-case of pub+tftp server fail

frank3333
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

we have cucm 8.6 pub/sub and currently configured tftp on pub.

phones are manually configured only with pub IP to use tftp.

if pub is inaccessible during the upgrade process and after phone restart, will it able to register on sub with last used configuration stored in NVRAM?

or any idea to how to register phone on sub during upgrade process in case of phone power re-start.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Frank,

TFTP service is used to server files (firmare,load files etc) to the phones. But the servers phone register to depends on the CUCM Group configuration, which you apply to the device pool.

So if you have CUCM group with both the servers listed in it and any one of the server goes offline, the phones will register to the backup server.

In case, your phones get restarted the config will still be there, phone will have an Active CM 1, CM2, SRST etc. values and it will try to register with the Call Managers listed there or in the end with the SRST router. Unless you erase the configs/firmware manually it will not be lost.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts and mark the thread as  answered if you have no other queries.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Frank,

TFTP service is used to server files (firmare,load files etc) to the phones. But the servers phone register to depends on the CUCM Group configuration, which you apply to the device pool.

So if you have CUCM group with both the servers listed in it and any one of the server goes offline, the phones will register to the backup server.

In case, your phones get restarted the config will still be there, phone will have an Active CM 1, CM2, SRST etc. values and it will try to register with the Call Managers listed there or in the end with the SRST router. Unless you erase the configs/firmware manually it will not be lost.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts and mark the thread as  answered if you have no other queries.

I have removed the pub from the network and reboot the phone but phone not registered.

phone registered once the pub get back to network,

Does your CUCM Group has both the servers listed?

-Terry

yes in call manager group setting we have setup both server

1. sub

2.pub

So your phones are registered with Sub server? And if your pub is not available and you reboot a phone, your phone is not registering?

From memory, the phones stick to the config and register unless you erase anything.

Any reason you are not adding your SUB ip as a backup TFTP option in the DHCP. 

-Terry

yes if pub unavailable and phone reboot it does not register.

did not erase anything

we have enable tftp only on pub and tftp ip does not include in dhcp 150.

manually entered on all phones. yes in some phones we have entered both pub/sub IP as tftp primary and secondary.

once primary tftp goes off (pub) it will try to get conf file from secondary (sub) but we do not enable tftp on sub.

can it be the reason for phone not registering?

Thanks

Can you turn on service on sub and test? Also can you check from your phone device settings, if both the servers show up. It should be something like CM1 (select and it should be ip of primary server), CM2 and so on followed by SRST. Why you manually key in TFTP instead of serving it through DHCP? 

Terry

ok i will active the tftp on both pub/sub and test it.

yes in device setting on phone it show up

cm1 - sub ip

cm2- pub ip

Device group (1-sub/2-pub)

as previous configuration we have to manually enter tftp i want to change it.

also i need to clarify one thing.

we have phones with following tftp cofig

1.  tftp1- pub and tftp2 - sub

2. tftp1 -pub and no alternative

3. no any tftp ip

if i enable tftp on both pub/sub and phone restart while pub fail all the phones still can register without any issue?

Thanks for the support  

Ok so you have got a bit of messy situation there. If possible, configure DHCP scope with option 150 as both your servers to get rid of the manual typing in.

Yes unless something is not right, it should normally work that way thats the purpose of redundancy\High availability. But still I would suggest you to test and confirm this, since I don't have complete visibility into your network.

-Terry

Please rate helpful posts and mark thread answered if you have no other queries

Thanks Mr. Terry,

I will test and let you know.

Thanks.

Hi Terry,

tested it work..

Plan to migrate coming weekend.

Thanks for the support 

Good stuff Frank, thanks for the update.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts