cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Office with H323 Voice Gateway + FXO Ports + CUCM

VOIP323ps
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup a new voice gateway for the remote office and it will be using SRST later on. The voice gateway is a CISCO ISR 2911 with couple of FXO ports (the remote office will have 5 analog lines with totally different numbers other than the area code). It is a H323 voice gateway as the same  gateway as the head office. Head office is currently using H323 voice gateway 2851 with CUCM 8.6 and need to dial 8 to dial out to local PSTN. Everything works fine in the head office and all internal extensions are in 3 digital xxx formats from ext 100 to ext 700.

Now I have a test analog line with phone number 1(234)567-8900 and need to dial 9 to connect to the local PSTN. The analog phone line is currently connected to the 2911 FXO port 0/0/0. I am trying to do some basic setup and the first thing I want to do is to tie the analog phone number 1(234)567-8900 to CUCM ext 500 so that ext 500 can receive phone calls from the outside and also dial out locally. I did a lot of research and reading and I know there are so many ways to do it such as creating translation-rule/ plar opx immediate on the gateway directly or translation patterns directly on CUCM. I tired it all but nope of the configurations seem working after all. I have a feeling I might miss something on the CUCM side.

Can anyone tell me what is the best practice or the easier way to set that up with my current scenario?

Here is what I tried so far:

On CUCM

• Setup New Gateway under Device -> Gateway
  • Setup New Calling Search Space under Call Routing -> Class of Control -> Call Search Space
  • Setup New Partition under -> Call Routing -> Partition
  • Pointed x500 to the new Route Partition and calling search space

On Voice Gateway 2911

voice-port 0/0/0
description line 2345678900
caller-id enable

dial-peer voice 1 pots
description *** For incoming call matching ***
incoming called-number.
direct-inward-dial
port 0/0/0

dial-peer voice 9 ots
description *** for outgoing 9 Traffic to PSTN ***
destination-pattern 9T
tone reingback alert-no-PI
direct-inward-dial
port 0/0/0

dial-peer voice 11 voip
description *** CUCM Peer ***
incoming called-number.
Voice-class codec 1
Voice-class h323 1
Session target ipv4: 10.0.0.2
dtmf-relay h245-signal h245-alphanumeric
ip qos dscp cs3 signaling
no vad

My goal for now:

• connect extension 500 to 1(234)567-8900 so if someone call 1(234)567-8900 it will ring the extension 500
  • extension 500 can dial 9 and it can call outside phone number such as 1(213)567-8888 etc
  • internal extension calls are working fine since I added calling search space from the head office to the new calling search space as extension 500 can call extension 600 etc

Thank you very much in advance!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Verify that you have configured the appropriate Partition/CSS on extension 500 and that the Route Pattern/GW has the correct CSS.

voice translation-rule 1
rule 1 /2345678900/ /500/ < --- Make sure that the PSTN is sending the call in 10 digits. If not, you will need to change the translation rules.

voice translation-rule 2
rule 1 /500/ /2345678900/

voice translation-profile INCOMING_8900
translate called 1

voice translation-profile OUTOGING_8900
translate calling 2

voice-port 0/0/0
translation-profile incoming INCOMING_8900
translation-profile outgoing OUTGOING_8900
caller-id enable
connection plar opx 500

dial-peer voice 1 pots
incoming called-number.
direct-inward-dial
port 0/0/0

dial-peer voice 9 pots
description *** For outgoing 9 Traffic to PSTN ***
destination-pattern 9.T
no digit-strip   <------ This will send all digits. Make sure the carrier expects to see the 9. If not, take this off.
port 0/0/0

dial-peer voice 11 voip
destination-pattern 500$
Voice-class codec 1
Voice-class h323 1
no vad

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

View solution in original post

Hi

1- What do I need to create under Call Routing -> Route/Hunt -> Route Patterns?

A-you have to create h323 gateway. go to CUCM - device - gateway- h323 gateway- Add new

type the ip address x.x.x.x of your gateway which will the ip adress of your "loopback interface or internal interface connected to your LAN". Then do save and reset . After that go back to list you have to see the ip address of x.x.x.x of your GW.

B-go to call routing-  route hunt - Route group . Add RG then add gateway which created on A.

C-go to call routing-  route hunt - route list . Add new RL and assign the create RG which created on B.

E-go to call routing - route hunt- route pattern.Add new route pattern

pattern: 9T

Route list: name for route list which created on C. Then save 

F- test

Thanks

please rate all useful information

View solution in original post

33 Replies 33

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Verify that you have configured the appropriate Partition/CSS on extension 500 and that the Route Pattern/GW has the correct CSS.

voice translation-rule 1
rule 1 /2345678900/ /500/ < --- Make sure that the PSTN is sending the call in 10 digits. If not, you will need to change the translation rules.

voice translation-rule 2
rule 1 /500/ /2345678900/

voice translation-profile INCOMING_8900
translate called 1

voice translation-profile OUTOGING_8900
translate calling 2

voice-port 0/0/0
translation-profile incoming INCOMING_8900
translation-profile outgoing OUTGOING_8900
caller-id enable
connection plar opx 500

dial-peer voice 1 pots
incoming called-number.
direct-inward-dial
port 0/0/0

dial-peer voice 9 pots
destination-pattern 9.T
no digit-strip   <------ This will send all digits. Make sure the carrier expects to see the 9. If not, take this off.
port 0/0/0

dial-peer voice 11 voip
destination-pattern 500$
Voice-class codec 1
Voice-class h323 1
no vad

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Yosh,

Thanks again for the fast reply!! I got the incoming call working now!! I can dial 1(234)567-8900 and ring ext 500 now. However, I'm not sure what are the correct settings on the CUCM side for outgoing calls.

- What do I need to create under Call Routing -> Route/Hunt -> Route Patterns?

- Any special settings for the GW on CUCM? such as incoming calling party settings? incoming called party settings?

- for ext 500.. I have correct CSS

Thanks!

Hi

1- What do I need to create under Call Routing -> Route/Hunt -> Route Patterns?

A-you have to create h323 gateway. go to CUCM - device - gateway- h323 gateway- Add new

type the ip address x.x.x.x of your gateway which will the ip adress of your "loopback interface or internal interface connected to your LAN". Then do save and reset . After that go back to list you have to see the ip address of x.x.x.x of your GW.

B-go to call routing-  route hunt - Route group . Add RG then add gateway which created on A.

C-go to call routing-  route hunt - route list . Add new RL and assign the create RG which created on B.

E-go to call routing - route hunt- route pattern.Add new route pattern

pattern: 9T

Route list: name for route list which created on C. Then save 

F- test

Thanks

Hey Islam,

Thanks for the reply!! =)

I did A to C already and when I tried to save the route pattern with 9T I got the following message. "Route Pattern - Route Pattern Invalid. Accepts numbers, X, letters A, B, C, D, + and the following: *#[]^+?.@!- Regular expression used to validate: ^[]0-9A-D*#X[^+?.@!]{1,50}$." and ideas?

Thanks again!

Islam meant to say "9!"

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Hello

+5 for my friend yosh . Kindly use 9! ,

note:-9!  " where ! is used on CUCM" , and 9T is used on CUC.

Thanks

Yosh and Islam,

You guys are the best!!

Yes, 9! works and now I do get the outside tone from the PSTN. Outgoing calls works.  However, I will need to dial 9 and then 9 again to hear the PSTN tone and dial to outside.

1. Do you know why I need to dial 9 and then 9 again to hear the PSTN tone?

2. After I dial 1(222)222-2222 it seated there for 10 second before the call actually go thought. I think something to do with T302 or T304?

3. I know I will need to setup more route patterns for the NANP such as 911/7 -digit local/10-digit local/11-digit local. Should I set those up on the CUCM under route patterns or should I set it up under voice gateway with more dial-peer voice pots.

Thanks again!!!

Hello

Thanks so much for rating ,and for your beautiful words.

1- yes this is normal to take some time before going out . The reason because you did not select the numbers of the digits , so it takes some time . If you need to make it fast , kindly define the number of digits for example in your question for national dialing 11 digits find the below:-

On Voice gateway

1- delete the old dial-peer

2- create a new one 
dial-peer voice 10 pots
destination-pattern 91..........
forward-digits 11
port 0/0/0

on CUCM

1- delete the old RP "9!"
2- configure a new one as the below
route pattern:91XXXXXXXXXX

2- Yes , 9 is used as outside tone .

3-  look my friend to get the best answer for your question , this is based on your protocol used between CUCM and voice gateway. If you use H323 the gateway have the control to do outgoing & incoming calls , so you have to set route patterns on both"CUCM & and voice gateway" and route pattern should be same on both. If you used MGCP , so the call control will be call manager , and route patterns will be set up on CUCM only. For FXO "analogue line" , the best solution is as you did  H323 .

Thanks

Hi

So if you need to create RPs for " local , emergency , international " , you have to do as the below:-

1) for RP for local calls , lets say local calls 7 digits . so RP 9+7 digits. The configuration will be as the below:-

On Voice gateway
1- create a new one 
dial-peer voice 11 pots
description *** For Local calls ***
destination-pattern 9.......
forward-digits 7
port 0/0/0

on CUCM

1- configure a new one as the below
route pattern:9XXXXXXX

2) for RP for local calls , lets say emergency calls 3 digits . so RP 9+3 digits. The configuration will be as the below:-

On Voice gateway
1- create a new one 
dial-peer voice 12 pots
destination-pattern 9...
forward-digits 3
port 0/0/0

on CUCM

route pattern:9XXX

3) for RP for local calls , lets say international calls  . so RP 9+00+ any digits. The configuration will be as the below:-

On Voice gateway
1- create a new one 
dial-peer voice 13 pots
destination-pattern 9.00T
no-digit strip
port 0/0/0

on CUCM

route pattern:900!

Thanks 

Please rate all useful information

1 - You probably have an overlapping dialing plan. If you have any extensions, translation patterns or route patterns that begin with a "9", you will not here an outside dial-tone, until you no longer match the same string.

Example 1 (No dial-tone after dialing 9) - You have extension 9100 and route pattern 9.! and you're dialing 91800XXXXXXX. You wouldn't hear outside dial-tone, until you dialed the 918.

2 & 3- You will need to edit the T302 Timer, if you want to continue to use 9!. Otherwise, like my friend Islam mentioned (+5), you will need to create exact dialing patterns. 9XXXXXXX, 9XXXXXXXXXX etc. On CUCM and on the GW as well.

HTH

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Hi yosh

+5 for yosh. Now you have complete answers for your questions, we hope that you get all your answers . If you need any help , just share your answers.

Thanks

Big thanks for both Islam and Yosh!

We don't have any ext start with 9 digit. All of our internal ext are in xxx format and they are all between 100 to 700. We are using 8 to dial outside for the head office so that's why we don't have any ext fall within both 8xx or 9xx range. The test line i'm currently using need to dial 9 to get out even without the voice gateway/CUCM. For example, I will need to dial 91(234)567-8900 by just using an analog phone plug in directly to the wall jack.

Here is what happened when I used the configuration below.

I'm trying to dial 9 - 9(123)888-9999

1. Dial 9 and then 9 again hear a PSTN tone

2. Dial 1(123)888-9999 I got a beep tone right before it done dialing

3. Cisco phone only shown "To 912" right after the beep tone

4. Phone still can dial out without any problem

If I dial slowly like 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 3... then I will hear a beep tone right after 3 (Phone shown "To 912" right after the tone) and I can still dial the rest of the numbers and phone can still dial out. This happened to 10, 7 digits, and international dialing.

Thanks again!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# dial-peer voice 9 pots
# description *** For Outgoing 9 Traffic to PSTN ***
# destination-pattern 91……….
# tone ringback alert-no-PI
# forward-digits 11
# port 0/0/0
CUCM Route Pattern 91XXXXXXXXXX

dial-peer voice 10 pots
# description *** For 7 digit local calls ***
# destination-pattern 9…….
# forward-digits 7
# port 0/0/0
CUCM Route Pattern 91XXXXXXX

# dial-peer voice 11 pots
# description *** For 911 Calls ***
# destination-pattern 9…
# forward-digits 3
# port 0/0/0
CUCM Route Pattern 9XXX

# dial-peer voice 12 pots
# description *** For 011 International Calls ***
# destination-pattern 9.00T
# no digit-strip
# port 0/0/0
CUCM Route Pattern 900!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

yes i got your issue .Let try for only on RP then i will share the rest.The problem that your CUCM 9 , so that is why you are unable to hear outside dial-tone and the VG who is responsible to do that.To solve this issue you have to do the below:

on VG

dial-peer voice 9 pots
description *** For Outgoing 9 Traffic to PSTN ***
destination-pattern 1..........    /just i changed the destination-pattern without 9/
tone ringback alert-no-PI
forward-digits 11
port 0/0/0

On CUCM

route pattern 9.1XXXXXXXXXX   /RP i used 9 then dot then 11 digits/
select RL
Check the boxes for Provide Outside Dial Tone
go down on same page and on discard digits choose predot

note: now you have to hear a dial tone.

thanks

Islam,

Thanks!! I did get a dialing tone with the old configuration. I just need to dial 9 and 9 again one more time to hear the PSTN tone which it is ok for now.

The problem I'm having now is cisco phone only showing either 7 digits (when its get though successfully)  or 3 digits (when call fail to get through) on the screen.

Example 1 trying to call the following number 1(123)456-7890

1. Dial 9 and 9 again to hear the PSTN tone.

2. Dial 1(213)456-7890 (Phone is showing 9912134567890)

3. You will hear a one quick beep. Now the Phone is showing "To: 912345" and starting to count down while waiting to pick up.

4. The receiver can answer the call without problem.

Example 2 trying to call the following number 1(213)456-7890

1. Dial 9 and 9 again to hear the PSTN tone.

2. Dial 1(213)456-7890 (Phone is showing 9912134567890)

3. You will hear two beeps. Now the Phone is showing "To: 456" and starting to count down and waiting to pick up.

4. Phone will not get though and getting "We are sorry your call cannot be completed as dialed"

I have a feeling it is depends on how fast I dial the number. Sometimes work but sometimes doesn't. Same problem when dialing the 7 digits 456-7890 number too. Any ideas?

Thanks!

See Below for my current configuration:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# dial-peer voice 9 pots
# description *** For Outgoing 9 Traffic to PSTN ***
# destination-pattern 91……….
# forward-digits 11
# port 0/0/0
CUCM Route Pattern 91XXXXXXXXXX

dial-peer voice 10 pots
# description *** For 7 digit local calls ***
# destination-pattern 9…….
# forward-digits 7
# port 0/0/0
CUCM Route Pattern 9XXXXXXX

# dial-peer voice 11 pots
# description *** For 911 Calls ***
# destination-pattern 9…
# forward-digits 3
# port 0/0/0
CUCM Route Pattern 9XXX

# dial-peer voice 12 pots
# description *** For 011 International Calls ***
# destination-pattern 9.00T
# no digit-strip
# port 0/0/0
CUCM Route Pattern 900!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------