cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Renaming Calling Search Space and Partitions in CUCM 10.5

calicolin1
Level 1
Level 1

I have about 1000 phones registered to my CUCM 10.5 cluster. Would it be a problem to rename some CSSs or Partitions which are being used by those phones? Will I need to reset anything?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When you click on save after making changes to a partition the following message is displayed on cucm "Devices associated with this partition must only be reset if the Name has changed. Use caution because multiple device resets may impact call processing."

So, a device reset would be needed. if the number of devices is very large and CSS , partitions are applied on devices , trunks , route patterns etc then its easier to restart the callmanager service to apply the changes.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When you click on save after making changes to a partition the following message is displayed on cucm "Devices associated with this partition must only be reset if the Name has changed. Use caution because multiple device resets may impact call processing."

So, a device reset would be needed. if the number of devices is very large and CSS , partitions are applied on devices , trunks , route patterns etc then its easier to restart the callmanager service to apply the changes.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

I've never heard of anyone actually having issues when they rename partitions and don't reset.  Has anyone?

What sort of issues would one expect?

Hi Nicholas,

A couple of points:

1. There is a change in cucm behavior from 10.x to 11.x versions. If I rename a partition on a 11.x cucm I do not get the above message "Devices associated with this partition must only be reset if the Name has changed. Use caution because multiple device resets may impact call processing." So definitely this is not required in 11.x versions.

2. On 10.x or lower versions you can test the behavior yourself by creating a test partition and assigning it to a phone and then renaming it. Then test calling that phone from any device and see if it is still reachable. If not, try a reset as suggested. The impact of not resetting the device would be with the database not getting updated with the new partition name in CSS and hence affecting call routing.

Manish

Hi Manish,

I've done it plenty of times without issue, that's why I was asking if there is certain criteria that, if matched, creates an issue when partitions are renamed without a reset.

I've never reset devices/trunks when renaming partitions and have never suffered any fall-out.

-Nick