Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP and SCCP Phones Configuration

justserve
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have 7941 and 7942 Phones deployed in my network. I just want to ask what will be the implication of configuring some phones to with SCCP protocols while others run SIP protocols?

Thank you for your response.

6 Replies 6

maalvi
Level 1
Level 1

There is not much issue running SIP and SCCP phone in the network. The SCCP phone will have more

feture set if you are running it with Cisco CUCM/E. Other than that you can have cisco 7941/42 runs as  SCCP

phone and SIP phone in your network.

Hello,

Maalvi, thank you for the response.

I running CUCM 7.1.5. Let's assume I want calls on some of the Cisco Phones to be monitored and recorded.

1. Which of the protocol should I used for such phones - SIP or SCCP

2. Can I connect the CUCM to the same recording system/solution used by another IP PBX so that the calls can be captured and recorded? WIll such configuration not impact on CUCM or the IP PBX  system or either of their services?

Thank you for your response.

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

I really like SIP because of simplicity to troubleshoot.

However for recording purposes I think SCCP may be a better option. What recording solution do you have in mind?

Most features are available on SCCP, and some have just or are in the proces of been implemented to SIP. Running SCCP will be the safe bet.

Hello All,

Thomas, thank you for your response.

Do you mean that if my Cisco Phones run SCCP I can still record the interaction on the phones? Does it mean that I can run SCCP on my phones and still be able to record on these phones running SCCP protocol? A vendor told me this is not possible that my Cisco phones must run SIP to record their conversation. Whao! if yes that will be interesting for me and it's what I've been looking for. Can someone throw more light on this?

I have in existence a Nice Recording (precisely Nice Perform Express) being used with Avaya CM and I've been thinking that I should be able to use this same Nice recording solution with my CUCM without any need to implement a separate Recording solution. Is this possible or do I have to get a separate recording solution? Will the two systems (Cisco UCM and Avaya CM) impact each other or services in any way?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

Perhaps your vendor speficied the phones should be running SIP for that specific solution. I have seen other recording solutions that work with SCCP either way, like the recording solution of Contact Center Express.

If you would like to use the same solution that your Avaya, most likely you will need SIP. But I'm not familiar with that particular product.

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

With a quick google search I found this about your system.

NICE Perform eXpress 3.0

VoIP Metadata
For VoIP environment, NICE Perform eXpress uses VoIP signaling decoding mechanisms to extract metadata information. Two signaling protocols are currently supported: SIP and Cisco Skinny. The following metadata fields are available when working with each of the configurations

So it looks you may very well use both.

http://www.icsanalytics.com/pdf/NPXSolutionOverview.pdf

I would encourage you to get in touch with your support representative for the Nice Perform for further compatibility details, or support documentation.