cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Dialling URI dialling- looking forward

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Im looking at SIP addressing and URI and need to  assign a URI to each Directory Number, my understanding is that

1. The naming convention can be anything as it is only CUCM significant -is this ok ?

2 It doesn't need to be in dns - again is this correct, as it is only used in CUCM?

• DN 1234
  • Directory URI myphone@cucm.com

So when a user dials the URI via a cisco handset or telephony , CUCM knows the IP destination it needs to call in the same way as if it dialled it via a DN

when user A who can make video calls dials user B who is also video enabled, CUCM through exchange of capability setups a video calls. If the same user dials User C who is only voice then a voice call is set up- all ok

This capability is ok for internal use however thinking ahead what should the URI be if I allow external inbound SIP as with Skype type calls. A skype user or any other SIP user who has a video enabled devices now calls User A - does a video call get set up?

Does the SIP, Skype user need to call user A using a different SIP address based upon the type of call it wants to carry out?

• myphone@voicecucm.com
  • myphone@videocucm.com

or does message exchange identify which device to use so we just need to advertise a single SIP/URI address- myphone@cucm.com

thanks

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You configure the organization top level domain in CUCM that it will consider "local"

1. The naming convention can be anything as it is only CUCM significant -is this ok ?

Yes, but we offer the alternative to use the data from your LDAP users to use as URI and make life easier

2 It doesn't need to be in dns - again is this correct, as it is only used in CUCM?

No, there won't be any DNS queries, it will be local to CUCM

For devices anywhere else, you would need to either point to them via an H323 trunk to the GK, or via a SIP route pattern to wherever they are registered.

You can assign the same URI to several devices, simply think of it as a shared line.

If you want to differentiate the devices, then you would need to have a unique URI for each.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for your comments

I can understand why some people may think they want URI but is there a real reason?

URI – can not be dialed on handset

URI from desk top – yes but if you deploy Desktop Click to Call then what you actually use to dial I say users names – you don’t care what sits behind it ?

URI address in CUCM is an alias which actual dials the DN still?

What is the URI format , is seems you need to distinguished between an “email “ address and a voice URI. I guess you can have the same format

User1@companyA.com - Email

User1@companyA.com - IM, Press, voice

However I guess this would only be true if the Voice URI is only significant to voice and you use a separate application for voice and that it is independent from email

My ideal is that my signature for internal emails and voice would be the same- user1@company.com . so it if you open a dial option in jabber and click on the singe link then jabber makes the call or if you do not initiate a dial option then an email is opened

Or do you have to create separate URI for voice

User1@companyA.com

User1@voice.companyA.com

Externally

I guess you have inbound calls from various dedicated external systems such as Skype then you could publish a single URI since only a Skype calls would use it and we have a SIP connection 

thanks

Hello Java

Does Directory  URI and organization top level domain should be same  domain ?

What i mean if the user have directory uri xxx@cisco.com on the line   does it need be equal organization top level domain as a cisco.com

For example: customer organization top level domain is: video.cisco.com but they have cisco.com directory uri on the line .

I can able to dial user username@video.cisco.com from 3rd part company but can not dial using with username@cisco.com  directory uri.

Thanks