Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP TRUNK WITH MTP

SD_NETREADY
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys

The company where I work has many branches interconected where We have many regions with codec g.729 to do calls between them and inside the company We use g.711

Now we want to create a SIP Trunk with a IP pointing to Service Provider (No CUBE) and this need to use G.729 and not G.711.

If I create a new region X and I establish a relation between that new region X with Region A that is my company and I configure it with G.729 and them I create a New Device Pool with Region X and I apply this Region X to the Device Pool and DP to the SIP Trunk when I dial from any IP PHONE in my company to another phone in the side of the provider this will use G.729?

If I remember IP PHONES use g.711 by default right? 

If I do what I typed about regions and It doesn't work so I have to check the MTP Box on the SIP trunk? or what do I need to do?

3 Replies 3

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Regions are used to force the maximum allowed bit rate when calling b/w two devices. It can be inter or intra. Codecs exceeding the maximum allowed bit rate are filtered out. For eg - setting the maximum bit rate to 64 kbps will allow both G711u and/or G722 calls since the upper limit bit rate is met.
You can further add codec preference through ACPL.

MTP on the SIP trunk is used in event when you want to extend an EO call.

In your scenario, if your ITSP needs G729 only, you set the max bit rate b/w the phone region and the sip trunk region to 8kbps.

So you are telling me that Applying the new Región X in the Device pool aplied on the SIP TRUNK the calls made from my IP PHONE to the other phone of the provider will use g.729?

I didn't understand what you wanted to say with EO call and ACPL.

It should.
EO >> Early Offer
ACPL >> Audio Codec Preference List