Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP VoIP Provider and Max-Conn on Dial-Peer

mark.mcsherry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

For connection to a SIP provider I have several dial peers matching the different destinations.

My question is that I only have one VoIP line, so how do I limit several dial peers so that they can only try and use one line at once between them.

I could use max-conn, but this only works on a single dial peer. I can't see any options under the sip-ua section to configure the maximum available lines.

Many thanks,

Mark

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I don't know if it's possible to configure a max-conn number that is cumulative for a set of dial-peers.

However, I would like, for the sake of curiosity, try to understand why not having this would be a problem.

First, it would seem at first that you can do with a single dial-peer, unless the destination-pattern is very complex (that is, you need a "more specific" routing toward other dial-peers).

Then, even if the above multiple dial-peers are necessary, if the provider only allow a single call at once, subsequent calls will fail anyway, only will fail at the provider instead than locally on the router.

All in all, this should not be a problem.

Just guessing, thank you if you can let us know more about this case.

Hi,

Many thaks for the reply.

There are a couple of reasons I'd like to keep seperate dial peers. One is for class of restrictions and the other is so that I can put a preference on each dial peer.

With the perferences it allows me to have two dial peers to the same destination - one via PSTN and one via the VoIP Provider. This means that I can selectively choose to send calls via VoIP or PSTN on a per destination basis.

The reason for the max-conn is that once the voip channel has been used, all subsequent calls should then be routed via PSTN. The problem I think (and I haven't tried this) is that once the first call goes through, subsequent calls will fail, rather than being routed via the next preference dial peer.

I need to test this out. However a max-conn type command in the SIP-UA configuration section would be ideal.

Many thanks,

Mark

Mark, thank you for explaining your wanted configuration in more depth.

Indeed, after the highest precedence dial-peer has used all the connections up to max-conn, lesser precedence dial-peers will be used.

So as long you can keep your destination configured in one voip and one pots dial-peer, you will be fine.

Related to the matter you can also investigate the use of the huntstop keyword, and trunk-groups.