cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tftp-bind issue with "hidden"alias"?

Stray_Bullet
Level 1
Level 1

So I am stumpped... I enter this command...

tftp-server harddisk:/phone-configs/SEP74860B95756E.cnf.xml alias SEP74860B95756E.cnf.xml

I get this response...

This alias is already being used. Please use another alias

There is no aliases in my running-config for this file. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

(ISR 4451 - CME - 8841 phones)

10 Replies 10

What is the purpose of adding this alias command, what is it that you want to achieve with it?

Response Signature

As @Roger Kallberg mentioned, why do you want to do that?

Response Signature

Stray_Bullet
Level 1
Level 1

So I was having issues with my phones acting funny. The displays were staying active after I edited them to shut off after 5 minutes.. So I uploaded the configs so the phones could pull them, then when I checked the phones configs were not edited again. I thought maybe they were not pulling the configs or pulling them from somewhere else.

All came down to I had formatted all the configs with an xml formatter (my ocd) lol. When I let the phones create their own profile, edited just the part I needed to to make the displays act the way I wanted, then uploaded then; they all work fine.

So all is good now. But just out of curiosity are the phones hard coded to pull configs from a specific place?

Yes, sort of. They request a set name from TFTP, based on the MAC address of the device, then the TFTP service hands the file to the device.

Response Signature

When ever you make changes on the phone configurations, make sure you apply the below corresponding to the phone model you use.

SIp phones

Router(config)# voice register global
Router(config-register-global)# create profile

This command generates the configuration files used for provisioning SIP phones and writes the files to the location specified with the tftp-path command.

For SCCP

Router(config)# telephony-service
Router(config-telephony)# create cnf-files

Use this command to generate the XML configuration files used for provisioning SCCP phones and write the files to the location specified with the cnf-file location command.

Response Signature

If I was to do that after making manual changes to the config file, that would overwrite the changes I just made to the xml file.

i manually change/add settings to the xml config file, upload it to the phone & just restart the phone. Works perfectly.

That’s not the intended way to make changes to device configuration.

Response Signature

So how do you do it with CME? With CUCM, which I do not use, all the options are there. With CME there is no options, for example, what days the phone display does not have to be active, idle display timeout, access to web GUI, etc... Only way I know is to manually change the phone configs & upload them to the device? Is there a way, maybe edit XMLDefault.xml with these settings and it will transfer to all the phones configs when you rebuild them with create profile?

Refer the guide,https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_cr/cme_cr_chapter_010000.html?bookSearch=true

Router(config-telephony)# service phone disableSpeaker true
Router(config-telephony)# service phone disableSpeakerAndHeadset true
Router(config-telephony)# service phone forwardingDelay 1
Router(config-telephony)# service phone garp 1
Router(config-telephony)# service phone pcPort 1
Router(config-telephony)# service phone voiceVlanAccess 0
Router(config-telephony)# service phone settingsAccess 1
Router(config-telephony)# service phone videoCapability 1
Router(config-telephony)# service phone daysDisplayNotActive 1,7
Router(config-telephony)# service phone displayOnTime 07:30
Router(config-telephony)# service phone displayOnDuration 10:00
Router(config-telephony)# service phone displayIdleTimeout 01:00
Router(config-telephony)# service phone daysBacklightNotActive 1,7
Router(config-telephony)# service phone backlightOnTime 07:30
Router(config-telephony)# service phone backlightOnDuration 10:00
Router(config-telephony)# service phone backlightIdleTimeout 01:00
Router(config-telephony)# reset all
The following example shows how to set the default values for backlighting the phone display for all Cisco Unified IP phones with backlight capabilities in Cisco Unified CME:
Router(config-telephony)# service phone daysBacklightNotActive 1,7
Router(config-telephony)# service phone backlightOnTime 07:30
Router(config-telephony)# service phone backlightOnDuration 10:00
Router(config-telephony)# service phone backlightIdleTimeout 01:00
Router(config-telephony)# reset all

Response Signature

Thank you so much! Works perfect!

Only difference is that I have all SIP phones so I had to create profile and reset.