Views
Helpful
Replies

Time of Day Routing - CUCM or CUC?

Jesse3620
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I'm curious about everyone's feelings and thoughts on time of day routing. I know it can be done within CUCM via Time Schedules/Time Periods applied to Partitions. I also know it can be done in CUC via Schedules and Transfer Rules. This is just a general question to see what option you are deploying and why? 

For me, the CUCM config seems to be easier to configure but more difficult to maintain (e.g. impromptu schedule changes). Also, it seems Cisco best practice points to the config in CUCM. However, I read some blog posts outlining how to set up Call Handlers in CUC and played around with that. It seems easier to manage but I'm wondering if there's some drawbacks to this? 

Thanks for any input you can provide. 

2 Replies 2

It would depend on what you would want to get out of the time of day routing. If you have a need to play any greeting(s) then CUC would be a good fit to use. But if you don’t have any need for that I would say CUCM is more straightforward and you would not be dependent on more than one system for the functionality. This would make it less prone to errors.

Response Signature

Kaloyan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

TOD in CUCM is a pretty simple concept, but many people don't understand it and it causes quite a lot of confusion. Also, it requires a good understanding of how your dial plan works, so you apply it only for the desired call flows. 

Based on my observations, most people use the Unity Connection schedules. If you choose to go with the CUCM TOD, be aware that if you apply it on the Unity trunk / VM ports then the MWI won't work correctly https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCva13963/?rfs=iqvred