Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble with Inbound Calls to FAX machine connected to ATA

alalli
Level 2
Level 2

Good Day All,

I have a fax machine that is connected to an ATA which is registered to Call Manager.

I can get inbound and outbound calls from the ATA port using an analog phone.

I can send a fax from the fax machine.

I can not receive a fax.

A user on site reports that the fax machine beeps when I am trying to send him the fax.

My local fax machine reports Ring No Answer.

I ran a debug voice ccapi inout to get a better idea of what is happening.

I do not really know how to read the output properly, but I did see the word RingBack and I did see the cause code 16.

I am starting to believe that my problem with the fax machine might be a configuration issue and it is not setup to automatically answer.

Is there anyone who can confirm this from the debug or to suggest something for my config.

Both files attached below.

Thanks very much

Regards

A Lalli-Cafini

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at the debugs, I never see the call get answered, I only see the call go into ALERTING state and then 31 seconds later the calling fax hangs up...the call is never answered.

Do they have this fax set up for "auto answer"?

If they do, how many rings is it set up to ring for before answering?

31 seconds is the equivelant of ~ 5 rings, 2 seconds ring, 4 seconds off...six seconds per ring cycle.

Also, for sccp registered ATA on CCME you need the below config, since only passthrough is supported on ATA:

voice service voip

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

This config is missing.

Also, on the ATA you need to configure the below to enable passthrough:

AudioMode: 0x00150015
ConnectMode: 0x90000400

This can be set under "Audio Parameters" on the ATA web/gui page by HTTP to it:

http://
These configs are secondary, the real issue appears that the fax never answers.

You can test to see if the fax machine answers by calling the fax number from a phone and listening for CED/Answer tone
ffrom the fax...or do you get continuous ringing?  How many ring before it answers, if it answers?

If it doesn't answer I suggest the customer check out the fax machine documentation, or search google, or the manufacturers
site for their fax model, for an administrative guide that explains how to set up auto answer and for how many rings before answering.  This is a
basic config on most fax machines.

-Dave

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at the debugs, I never see the call get answered, I only see the call go into ALERTING state and then 31 seconds later the calling fax hangs up...the call is never answered.

Do they have this fax set up for "auto answer"?

If they do, how many rings is it set up to ring for before answering?

31 seconds is the equivelant of ~ 5 rings, 2 seconds ring, 4 seconds off...six seconds per ring cycle.

Also, for sccp registered ATA on CCME you need the below config, since only passthrough is supported on ATA:

voice service voip

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

This config is missing.

Also, on the ATA you need to configure the below to enable passthrough:

AudioMode: 0x00150015
ConnectMode: 0x90000400

This can be set under "Audio Parameters" on the ATA web/gui page by HTTP to it:

http://
These configs are secondary, the real issue appears that the fax never answers.

You can test to see if the fax machine answers by calling the fax number from a phone and listening for CED/Answer tone
ffrom the fax...or do you get continuous ringing?  How many ring before it answers, if it answers?

If it doesn't answer I suggest the customer check out the fax machine documentation, or search google, or the manufacturers
site for their fax model, for an administrative guide that explains how to set up auto answer and for how many rings before answering.  This is a
basic config on most fax machines.

-Dave

Thanks so much for the reply.

I will fix up the config once we get the fax machine configured to auto answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: