cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshooting PoE Negotiation between CP-8865 with CP-BEKEM (Cisco WebEx Calling) and 3rd Party PoE+ Switch

pharvin
Level 1
Level 1

QUESTION: What tools are available to me to troubleshoot a PoE issue on a CP-8865 phone connected to Cisco WebEx Calling (formerly Spark Calling)? Is there a way to enable SSH on the phones if they are connected to Cisco WebEx Calling? (I cannot seem to find a way to enable it).

CONTEXT: I am running Cisco WebEx Calling with a CP-8865 phone. The CP-8865 standalone operates property using PoE when connected to my existing 3rd Party Switch (UniFi Switch 24 POE-250W), which claims to be 802.3at compliant.

When I connect a CP-BEKEM to the CP-8865, only the CP-8865 will power on (not the CP-BEKEM). I must connect a power brick to the CP-8865 in order to get the CP-BEKEM to power on. The 3rd party switch is reporting that is connected to the phone+KEM via POE+, which I understand the be the same as 802.3at. I also should have plenty of PoE budget to spare. Per my reading of the CP-8865 data sheet, 802.3at should be able to get the CP-8865 with 1 CP-BEKEM to operate.

I would like to find a way to check what level of PoE the CP-8865 believes has been negotiated with the 3rd party switch. I do not seem to be able to SSH into these phones. From my reading, if I were running a local Call Manager, I think I would need to enable SSH, but I cannot find a way to enable SSH on Cisco WebEx Calling (formerly Spark Calling).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, so I don't have to purchase unnecessary power bricks!

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Even if you could SSH to the phone the CLI isn’t documented; you would still need TAC assistance to debug it. Perhaps start from the UniFi switch since it’s more accessible: what does it claim the phone advertised/requested for POE class? What did it offer to the phone?

Thanks for the information! It's useful to know that it may very difficult to troubleshoot this issue from the Cisco phone side without involving TAC. I think my next step will be to try a different switch to see if that resolves the issue, before I try to figure out UniFi Switch PoE debugging or bother TAC with this.

RE: PoE+ (802.3at) Negotiation problems between UniFi Switch 24 POE-250W (firmware 4.0.21.9965) and CP-8865 with one (1) CP-BEKEM running Cisco WebEx Calling.