hello ,

I found this configuration in show run

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g729br8

codec preference 3 g729r8

codec preference 4 g711alaw

!

can someone explain to me what it menas ?

is it related to fax ?

1 Reply 1

kaja_2kj3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

With the introduction of Cisco IOS Software Release 12.0(5)T, Cisco VoIP gateways support the codec negotiation feature. This feature provides the ability for a Cisco VoIP gateway to connect to other VoIP devices without necessarily knowing which codec is used for a call-setup. Also, this feature allows Cisco VoIP gateways to dynamically adjust to changes on remote devices. As long as the codec used by the remote VoIP device matches the capabilities-list of the Cisco VoIP gateway, the VoIP call is completed.   For example, you got location A and B, if you give this voice class codec config in your A location, if the B location uses an outgoing dialpeer which just uses g729r8 in its  voip device, then your A location voip device looks first for g711ulaw codec, as it is not there in B location dialpeer, it falls(negotiates) to the second preference codec which is g729r8,  and sets up the call. From my understanding, it is related to dialpeer, codecs, callsetup.  If you use a dialpeer which is pointing to a fax , which has a codec specified in it, then it is related there as well, but the concept is the same.

Please rate if this helps, by clicking the stars below.

Thanks