Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection DiRT error

pijssel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just installed a Cisco Unity Connection system with DiRT, but I'm having trouble running the DiRT Tool. If I run it, I get this error log:

================================================================

Running CUCDisasterRecoveryBACKUP, version 2.0.7

Local CUC version=1.2(1.0)

Runing under domain account:BMW\Administrator

Target directory=D:\CUC_Backup\

Local time=7/12/2007 4:09:43 PM

================================================================

7/12/2007 4:09:43 PM: Starting disaster reocovery backup at: 7/12/2007 4:09:43 PM

7/12/2007 4:09:43 PM: Backing up StreamFiles folder

7/12/2007 4:09:44 PM: UnityDirDB stream path =G:\UC_RecordedNames\UnityDirDb

7/12/2007 4:09:44 PM: Copying EMS Database file out from: G:\Cisco Unity Connection\Utilities\EventMonitoringService\database

7/12/2007 4:09:44 PM: Backing up UnityDirDB SQL table to: D:\CUC_Backup\

7/12/2007 4:09:44 PM: (error) in cmbBackup routine:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'D:\CUC_Backup\UnityDirDBBackUp.sql'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. number= 0

7/12/2007 4:09:44 PM: Backing up UnityMbxDB1 SQL table to: D:\CUC_Backup\

7/12/2007 4:09:44 PM: (error) in cmbBackup routine:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'D:\CUC_Backup\UnityMbxDB1BackUp.sql'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. number= 0

7/12/2007 4:09:44 PM: Subscriber messages selected for backup

7/12/2007 4:09:44 PM: UnityMbxDB1 stream path=G:\UC_Streams\UnityMbxDb1

7/12/2007 4:09:45 PM: Finished disaster reocovery backup at: 7/12/2007 4:09:45 PM

=========================================

If I disable the CSA it runs without any error. So it is a problem of the CSA not recognizing the DiRT Tool of something like that.

What can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Paul van den IJssel

Digacom

The Netherlands

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

In order to resolve this issue while backing up, disable the CSA and enable it when the backup is complete and check the option SQL 2-hop under the backup option. The actual backup of the SQL data for the main Cisco Unity database and, optionally, the reports database is done with the SQL services. As such, the permissions to write files to the target directory are limited by the account under which the SQL services run. If your site uses the local system account for these services, then if you write the SQL backup data to an off box location, it fails. Further, you use a domain account for the SQL services but do not want to grant read/write permissions to the off box location, then the SQL backup portion fails as well.

This is a fairly common scenario so a simple mechanism to work around it is provided. First, do the SQL backup to a local drive. Move the backed up database files to the off box target with the use of the account DiRT backup under which it runs, and then delete the local copies of the backup files. This is called the two hop method.

Check the Use ?two hop? method for backing up SQL data check box in order to use this method and then provide a local target to use. Be sure to use a local drive where there is enough space to do the backup, for example, the SQL tables can be large.

Hi Sam,

When i startup the DiRT Backup utility I get a warning (all the time) which says: "CAUTION! You are running in a WTS session, please note that paths to the backup files should be entered in full UNC format do not try to use mapped drive letters".

The backup runs correctly after I disabled the CSA. But the problem keeps occuring when I backup to a local drive (d:\CUC_Backup\) even if I check the use 'two hop' method (C:\temp_SQL_folder\).

Where can I set the permissions to run the DiRT tool. The scheduled backups are run by the local administrator.

I've attached some print-screens, maybe they will help.

Thanks in advance!