cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CUCM and CUC from 8.5.1 to 11.5

zdesignstudio
Level 4
Level 4

I need to do an upgrade from 8.5.1 to 11.5 of CUCM and CUC.

CUCM is a PUB/SUB running on two MCS 7816H3 servers and CUC is a PUB and is already a VM.

I am a little confused if an external USB storage device is required for the CUCM upgrade on the MCS servers. Its documented and I have used one for 7825H3 servers but it doesn't technically state the 7816H3.

Below is my process.

CUCM

1. DRS 8.5.1 on MCS

2. Upgrade 8.5.1 to 8.6.2 on MCS

3. DRS 8.6.2

4. Install 8.6.2 fresh on VM

5. DRS restore 8.6.2 on VM -- Decom MCS servers

6. Upgrade 8.6.2 to 11.5

The above doesnt include any of the COP files that may/are required.

Thanks,

Please rate useful posts and mark answers as correct if applicable.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use PCD for this migration, it will make your life much easier and will not require any upgrades, etc.  Check out Prime Collaboration Deployment guide for details.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use PCD for this migration, it will make your life much easier and will not require any upgrades, etc.  Check out Prime Collaboration Deployment guide for details.

Hmm never used PCD. Let me look into it and Ill report back.

Will it take 8.5.1 on MCS to 11.5 VM?

Yes, you will use Migration task for it and PCD will convert 8.5 to 11.5 while also installing the 11.5 for you after you deploy the OVA, upload ISO to PCD SFTP store and discovery the hosts/clusters.  If you desire you can also assign new IP address and Hostname as part of the migration. I've been using PCD since its inception for many migrations, upgrades, new installs.

As Chris pointed out, PCD will minimise the tasks to a larger extent. You can go through the below link for the complete procedure:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/10_5_1/CUCM_BK_U35347D2_00_pcd-administration-guide-1051/CUCM_BK_U35347D2_00_ucmap-administration-guide-1051_chapter_010.html#CUCM_RF_PFD64F35_00

HTH

Rajan

I'd recommend always going with latest PCD version as it is backwards compatible with different application versions:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/11_6_1/cucm_b_pcd-admin-guide-1161.html

Check out "Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment Features" section for supported migration, etc. paths.

Thanks.

I am deploying a 11.5.3.10000-14 template now to check it out and will upgrade it right after the ova it deployed.

Gonna get it up and running to get familiar with the product a bit.

Documentation is fairly shoddy.

Does going from MCS CUCM 8.5.1 to 11.5 require any COP files to be installed prior?

The COP files in question would be the refresh_upgrade and v3_keys COPs.

This would be considered a "migration"?

Same goes for Unity Connection, but it is already virtual and running on new hardware.

This would be an "upgrade"?

Thanks,

Did you get a chance to review the CUCM upgrade guide? It focuses these days on PCD process and calls out if any COP files are needed.

Reviewing now.

Looks like for the migration Ill need to verify the "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0" parameter still for the ITL.

No need to do that if you are retaining the same hostnames.

If you are changing hostnames then much easier method is to install certs from new cluster onto old cluster, you would export CallManager certificates from new cluster, and then import them into Phone-SAST-Trust store on old cluster. This way phones will trust the new CUCM cluster and be able to pull config and register.

So I have have PCD upgraded to 11.6.1 and have discovered old CUCM and CUC clusters. ESXi hosts are added as well and I saw the SMB data-store in VMware. Migration destination cluster is defined and ready to go.

Is the Migration Task I see the below as the review of steps. I guess its safe to assume that the process of Install Destination Cluster Publisher also includes the import of the exported data in step 1 even though its not explicitly stated?

EDIT: Browser was messed up and didn't show the import step. It is stated that the import will take place.

Keep you posted. Thanks for the assistance thus far.

Unity Connections 8.5 not supported. Looks like old fashioned manual it is.

Correct, for Unity Connection use COBRAS to migrate the data and then message shuttle to move the messages if required, which is much faster than migrating messages via COBRAS:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/MessageShuttle/MessageShuttle.html

CUC is already virtualized so I am going to do a RU to 11.5SU2.

1. Verify Backup

2. Install V3 keys COP
3. Install refresh upgrade COP
4. Install pre 11.5 COP - **Not required, going directly to 11.5SU2
5. Upgrade with 11.5SU2 Image