cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a CP 8861 with other SIP providers

noriscoltd
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CP 8861 that I would like to use at home.  It was previously connected to a CUCM.  I just want to use it as a SIP phone with a 3rd Party SIP provider.  I currently have a SPA501, but the 8861 is a much nicer looking phone.  The error I am getting is TFTP error for the CNF.xml file.  I don't have a TFTP server at home (I could set one Up).  Does the 8861 only work with CUCM?  I was hoping as it was SIP I could get it working with other providers outside of the CUCM.

Any advise gratefully received.

4 Replies 4

Mohammed Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

8861 can be used with Third party SIP provider.

Refer below link

http://labs.wrprojects.com/configuring-a-cisco-9951-phone-for-asterisk/

Regards,

Mohammed Noor

Any ideas on how to get it working?  Looks to me like it is still looking for the CUCM.  I have been through the hard reset procedure.

I have now configured a TFTP server on my network.  I have created a xxx.cnf.xml file (xxx being the MAC address of the phone) and put that into the TFTP path.  I have set the alternate TFTP on the Phone to my TFTP server and reset the phone.  

It is not going to the TFTP server to get a CNF file, all I see on the phone is "Phone Registering" in the Status of the phone it tells me there is a TFTP timeout. 

I presume the Phone loads is compatible if it is on CUCM or 3rd party SIP?

westerhe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking to resolve this same issue.  Were you ever able to figure out a solution to this?  I've been told that once the handset has been connected to a Cisco system it will no longer be compatible with 3rd party solutions