cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Cisco 8841 / 7841 phone from the office to be used at home / using CUCM / UNITY ver 11.5

JMCNEL
Level 4
Level 4

What would it take for a cisco VOIP phone from the office to be used at home? How complex  configuration wise and expensive would it be to offer that ability to a small number of staff? I know other companies do it so I know it's an option but not sure at what expense.  We are on version 11.5 for CUCM and Unity. Do I need a special license, additional hardware at home to make it happen? 

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would need to configure MRA for this, expressways are included with CUCM, but you would need enough resources in your servers to deploy the servers, if you don't have a DMZ, you would need to create/configure one, as well as to open all the necessary ports required for this in your infrastructure. You would also need to configure SRVs in the public internet as well as a certificate on expressway-E from a public CA which you'd need to pay for.

If you have never done this, you want to reach out to a reputable Cisco UC consultant or a Cisco partner with voice specializations for assistance.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Does it require additional licensing ?

What about using VPN ? Would I require this as well if I want to use VPN or is this to replace the VPN option ?

As I mentioned in my previous reply, the expressways are included with CUCM.

Read Mobile and Remote Access docs

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/expressway-series/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

MRA only works with the IP Phones and Jabber, only the communication from those would be secured, and that's what you originally asked.

VPN does require HW and licenses and is not related to your original ask of using IP phones as those devices only work over MRA.

EDIT: unless you want to use a CVO solution and install a router at your home which would establish the VPN and your phone would leverage it, then you could use your phone over VPN.

HTH

java

Is there a soft phone (software on their computer with headset) solution instead of VPN ? Does it require licensing ?

Yes, Jabber can use MRA, just as the IP Phones. As any IP phone, Jabber consumes licenses in CUCM. Due to the current situation you can get temporary licenses if needed for Jabber

https://www.cisco.com/c/m/en_us/products/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/obtaining-temporary-licenses.html

The link I referred you to explains MRA works with IP Phones and Jabber, did you review it??

If not, please do so before any further questions.

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: