Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224- using a 2nd for redundency

We have two VG224 units. Originally we needed two for the analog lines, but with some careful management, we have dropped quite a few.

Now it looks as if we could fit all the analog lines into one VG224.

My thought- program the 2nd VG224 with the same DNs as the first- then if the first fails a simple patching job could have all the phones back up and running.

The real question, can you do that? Will it allow the same DN on two VG224s?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Mark,

You can have shared line appearances even with analog endpoints.  If you want to configure two VG224's exactly the same save for hostname and IP address(s) then it should work.

As to swaping between them in an emergency, I'd plan to swap the amphenol cable if you had to switch as it would save time and money on an additional patch panel.

-Steven

Edited to add:  Alternatively, just configure the second VG224 exactly the same as the first but leave it powered off.  If the first one dies, just swap the amphenol and Ethernet cable and power it on.

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Mark,

You can have shared line appearances even with analog endpoints.  If you want to configure two VG224's exactly the same save for hostname and IP address(s) then it should work.

As to swaping between them in an emergency, I'd plan to swap the amphenol cable if you had to switch as it would save time and money on an additional patch panel.

-Steven

Edited to add:  Alternatively, just configure the second VG224 exactly the same as the first but leave it powered off.  If the first one dies, just swap the amphenol and Ethernet cable and power it on.

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

Thanks!

I appreciate the quick answer.

Mark