Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC2-2FXS 2801 upgrade to 2901 router

Chris Campbell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My knowledge on VoIP is very limited, so i am looking for some help and guidance on migration of 2801 to 2901 routers.

We are upgrading a number of routers from Cisco 2801 to 2901/K9, the 2901 have already been bought/delivered and left for me to make them work.

So the existing Cisco 2801 routers have a vic2-2fxs module and 2 analog phones connected to this.

VoIP is configured on them to connect to a central UCM, the central UCM is beyond my scope of control. I just need to make the phones work with the router and configure the dial plans on the routers and point them to the UCM.

My problem is the FXS cards, from all my research so far, it looks like the existing vic2-2fxs modules are not supported in the 2901 router and it looks like the 2901 routers which were ordered are basic models with no extras.

So there is no UC licenses, i think these are required?

There is no PVDM module installed, i think these are required?

So my questions are: 

Can i re-use the vic2-2fxs modules on the Cisco 2901 router? If yes, do i need the pvdm module?

If no what FXS cards should i get to support 2 analog phones? And do i need the pvdm module?

And do i need the UC license for the analog phones?

Many thanks in advance

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MOHIT SINGH
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Chris,

As per ISR G2 (2901) router compatibility matrix, vic2-2fxs is not supported with 2901 router.

+ The replacement card will be "VIC3-2FXS/DID".

+ PVDM is required for VIC cards. 2901 supports PVDM2 and PVDM3. You might already have one in existing 2801 router. (check "show inventory")

+ UC license is required to run voice related features on router. It's an honor based license and has 60 days trial period.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

MOHIT SINGH
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Chris,

As per ISR G2 (2901) router compatibility matrix, vic2-2fxs is not supported with 2901 router.

+ The replacement card will be "VIC3-2FXS/DID".

+ PVDM is required for VIC cards. 2901 supports PVDM2 and PVDM3. You might already have one in existing 2801 router. (check "show inventory")

+ UC license is required to run voice related features on router. It's an honor based license and has 60 days trial period.

Hi Mohit,

UC licenses for ISR G2 are not honor based. We generate these licenses using PAK , UDI Serial Number and UDI Product ID of router and then, the licenses are loaded on router flash.

That is  true , we can have 60 days evaluation period.

regds,

aman

Hi Mohit,

Many thanks for the reply, and information regarding correct parts.

I will check the existing router today and see if it has the pvdm, might save me some time and money if it has.

@Aman, thanks good to know, it will be permanent licenses I require.

Chris

Hi Mohit,

The existing 2801 routers do have PVDM's installed, but they are not the same, the 2901 slot is to big for the PVDM in the 2801.

No problem though, i know what to order now.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris