Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual/Software Modem for Windows

chris_funa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, 

We currently have a physical server with a physical modem installed and connected to our VG224 for outbound faxing. This is working very well and has been for quite a while. The users use the built-in windows faxing program for faxing. 

We would like to make this physical server a VM (on Hyper-V) and would love to virtualize the modem as well. 

Has anyone found a good virtual/software modem that can be registered to CUCM? I've tried googling and I turn up results for a sip fax server, not necessarily what I'm looking for.  

Thank you for your input!

-Chris

1 Reply 1

nrmoore
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like this is what you're looking for: https://www.vocal.com/voip/sip-analog-modem-server-sams-f/. This can be run in a virtualized environment and connects to a SIP trunk (which CUCM easily provides). I don't think there are any other "true" software modems, most that I've seen require their software on both endpoints (which kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion). This SAMS offering actually does the fax modulation and sends it to CUCM as either RTP audio or T.38.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: