cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP-MS 7945 Registration

richardmaliden1
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to register SIP 7945G phones to the VOIP-MS service and am running into registration issues.  I've pulled working XML config from various posts online and still have not been able to resolve.  The firmware that has been used is SIP45.9-4-2-1S and SIP45.9-4-2SR4-3S with no success.  I don't even see the phone trying to reach offnet to the VOIP-MS servers to register despite having correct IP/routing and proxy info (behind Meraki MX firewall). I'm not sure if it's related, but we are also not able to edit the line settings directly on the phone screen, but can see the changes reflected after creating an SEPXXXMACXXX.cnf.xml file.  Please let me know if further info is needed or if you've run into something similar.  Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@richardmaliden1 wrote:

I don't even see the phone trying to reach offnet to the VOIP-MS servers to register despite having correct IP/routing and proxy info (behind Meraki MX firewall).

1. Disable ALG and NAT on your router. 
  2. Attach the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file so we can have a look (erase the passwords)
  3. Go to Status > All Status and post all the logs coming out of that.

1. The Meraki MX doesn't use ALG so we're in the clear there.  Doing a pcap from the Meraki, all I see are broadcast packets.  The phone doesn't seem to even attempt to reach out to the proxy server (dallas2.voip.ms).  NAT is enabled in the phone's CNF and the public IP is specified.  I've also tried it set to false - same outcome.
2. See attached for the phone CNF, default CNF, and dial plan files used (these all reside on a TFTP server and get pulled without issue
3. The only status error seen is one regarding Locale download

Another thought - I see some CNF files using the SIP<MAC>.cnf.xml scheme.  What are the differences between SEP<MAC> and SIP<MAC>?  Also, we are pointing at TFTP via option 150 and not option 66.

This has never worked, has it?  

I'm looking at the file and there are a lot of mistakes.   So here they are: 

1.  XMLDefault.cnf - Not needed because the phone is running 9.X

2.  There is no such thing as option "4" in the <transportLayerProtocol> tag.  It is either 1 (TCP), 2 (UDP) or 3 (TLS)

3.  Turn off <natEnabled> and leave <natAddress> blank. 
4.  <proxy> should always be "USECALLMANAGER" (case sensitive).  

I am not sure if this help or not. 

While registering Cisco 7945 with a Huawei PBX, below where two issues which we come across. 

• Missing TFTP server .

During boot up process phone  tries to contact the TFTp server mentioned in option 150 to   download the cnf file.And try to register with the call control server mentioned in the cnf file.

we pulled a working cnf file from a CME edited parameter. we realized that there is no TFTP server to store the cnf file In this setup. Huawei PBX doesn't  provide TFTP service.so we made a TFTP server. copied the CNF file to the created TFTP server  folder. and in DHCP option 150 we mentioned this TFTP server. 

• second issue we faced.

7945 was taken from a working environment where these phone where registered with a  CUCM. we removed the CTL file.

resolving this two issue made the above scenario working.

• From  setting check  if the phone has all required informations to register with the server.
  • From  setting check the status message on phone. 

Response Signature

I appreciate your input on this.  We did a factory reset which would have cleared the CTL/ITL files.  We also have it pointed to a TFTP server via option 150 and it is pulling config files correctly.  One thing that is a bit odd is that it does not allow us to edit line settings directly from the phone.  We can navigate to the line options, but it will not allow us to select the line and make any changes from the phone.  Did you run into this?  Even when just upgrading the phone to the latest SIP firmware with no config, we still could not manually edit the config from the desk phone.

what changes are you trying to  make from phone ?

if you compare with third party phones, you cannot make much changes from Cisco phone settings.

Response Signature

Ah, I see.  Apparently the 79X5 versions aren't technically 3PCC?  As some background, these phones are registered to a ShoreTel/Mitel system now.  We were trying to use this document as a guide: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Cisco_IP_Phone_7940/7960, but these are for the older model variants.

Attached cnf file which used for Huawei pbx.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: