Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP

nikuhappy2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a project of creating a seprate subnet for VOIP phones where we are having some issues and need some assist.

In current scenario, the VOIP phones, VOIP Server and the machines are placed on default VLAN (1) (192.168.1.1/24) where the GW of phones are configured on Sonicwall Firewall. Now, we have setup the VOIP GW (192.168.4.1/24) on an another interface on Sonicwall firewall but the client doesn't want to place the VOIP server on VOIP VLAN so we have left the server in DATA VLAN. Here we are using Polucom and Cisco phones. Everything is allowed in between the DATA and VOIP network and DHCP is configured for VOIP to the VOIP interface on the FW. Now once I connect the phone with firewall configured interface, it works fine but doesn't send a request to FTP for uploading the LOGO and doesn't update the time stamp even no issue with internal and external dialing. The logo and time stamp works when I configure the phone manually the FTP and time stamp that the client wants we don't need manual efforts to each phone.

Can somebody explain me what issue is causing here and would be glad if someone provide me solution to figure this out?

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Has the VoIP VLAN 192.168.4.1/24 definitely got all the right DHCP options set?

Hi Nikuhappy2010

I have been responding to this on your other request with the same problem

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12747596/voip-subnet-request

It does not help the support forum by having more than one thread open for the same problem( duplication of effort, don't see other peoples suggestions etc)

so can you close one, this will help you get a better result!

Richard, actually I need immediate response that's why I added the same thread here as well so lets continue. Thanks.

Actually the phone doesn't have FTP IP configured so once I configure FTP on phone and change time stamp manually through browser when the phone is connected to VOIP VLAN (192.168.4.x) then it works w/o issue but client is saying he needs the same scenario as the DATA VLAN has where client register the MAC ID on VOIP server I believe and once he connects the phone on network it register the phone, LOGO, correct time-stamp automatically so he needs to have the same solution in other VOIP VLAN too.

Please note that we are testing the registered phone moved from DATA VLAN to VOIP so I just want to make sure once we connect the phone to VOIP VLAN then there is no configuration changes required. We have also configured DHCP with option (FTP IP/160) that I searched on Google. Client is saying there are no hits on FTP server by phone unless I configure manually that client doesn't want. Thanks.

Hi,

So the phones are registering but not get right logo and date/time. Is my understanding correct?

Can you elaborate more on the environment? Are you using cme or cucm?

Also, it isnt good idea to place phones and call control across firewall. There are a lot of dynamic ports used and firewalls perform inspection by default which may impact the connectivity 

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would strongly advise you not to position a firewall between your phones and cucm server(s).  if there is no real requirement for it from a security perspective.

If you do need the sonic firewall to be in the path to route between subnets, configure it to permit ALL traffic between 192.168.1.x and 192.168.4.x

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.