cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which one should I use to block calls? Translation Pattern or Route Pattern?

yuhuiyao
Level 1
Level 1

Which one should I use to block the 9.@ calls? Translation Pattern or Route Pattern? They all have route option to block this pattern. Is there any difference?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Hello,

Route Pattern—In Voice Over IP (VoIP),  route patterns are the equivalent of static routes. The only difference  is the route patterns point to E.164 numbers instead of the IP address.  The Route Pattern is a specific number or, more commonly, a range of  dialed numbers that are used to route calls to a device directly, such  as a DT-24+ or a voice-capable router, or indirectly through a Route  List. For example, 1XXX signifies 1000 through 1999. The X in 1XXX signifies a single digit, a placeholder or wildcard. There are other  such placeholders that are to be introduced later, such as @, ., and !).  A Route Pattern does not have to be unique within a Partition, as long  as the Route Filter is different. In general, a Route Pattern matches  the dialed number for external calls, performs digit  manipulation(optional), and points to a Route List for routing.

Translation Pattern—A Translation Pattern  is used in order to translate called (Dialed Number Identification  Service [DNIS]) and calling (automatic number identification [ANI])  numbers before the call is routed. For example, you can have calls come  into a set of numbers 919 392-3XXX that must be translated to a set of IP phones that are in the 2XXX range. In Cisco CallManager, you set up a Translation Pattern for 919 392-3XXX that changes the leading 919 392-3 to just 2, while the rest of the  digits are left intact. Then, the call is routed to the appropriate IP  phone. Translation Patterns are used only for true translations and must  not be used as a simple way to strip or prefix digits.

If you ask me about which one i should use if i have to it would be route pattern.

Amer