cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless SIP Use with Cisco CUCM

ShaneGibeault81
Level 1
Level 1

Our company currently has Cisco CUCM with Cisco 8800 series desk phones.  Our I.T. Technicians are required to roam the building helping employees, while using Long Range DECT headsets connected to their desk phones so they can answer incoming calls.  These long range headsets are currently at their max distance, and we're almost done with a building expansion.  This new area will go beyond the headsets range, and will be a dead-zone for our headsets.  We've looked into the Cisco Wireless IP Phones, but they're overpriced and our vendor isn't 100% they'll work with our WIFI access points which aren't Cisco.  Can we use any Wireless SIP phone, and add it to our CUCM system?  Are there any other options that can be used to extend our access? I can't believe Cisco doesn't make an add-on to connect a wireless handset to their deskphones.  Even Avaya has that, and their service was awful.... We just need (1) wireless phone that can reach that new area, when there is only (1) technician on duty.  Otherwise there are multiple Tech's to answer the phone.  We can't bring cell phones into the call center, because we house sensitive information and cell phones are forbidden in there.  I appreciates everyone's help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no restriction for SIP 3rd party endpoints that says they need to be wired, if you can find a wireless SIP 3rd party endpoint it *might* work, you'll have to test it.

About the idea of a wireless handset, you can get in touch with your SE/AM and ask them to help you submit a PER with that idea so it's considered for future devices.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no restriction for SIP 3rd party endpoints that says they need to be wired, if you can find a wireless SIP 3rd party endpoint it *might* work, you'll have to test it.

About the idea of a wireless handset, you can get in touch with your SE/AM and ask them to help you submit a PER with that idea so it's considered for future devices.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

The Spectralink DECT system is supported by Cisco and works quite well. Handsets are OK in price, but, IMHO, the IP-DECT access points are very expensive. But you do get seamless roaming between APs and we've found the range on the handsets is much better than the consumer DECT devices you can get.

Gordon.

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi Gordon,

my customer are interested in spectralink DECT phone in their CUCM environment as well, can you share me more detail about it? for the integration , is just need to build up the SIP trunk between CUCM and Spectralink is ok , or does it need to add third party sip device in cucm one by one for the DECT phone ?

thanks !
Accept what was and what is, and you’ll have more positive energy to pursue what will be.