Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 Supervisor 32 Pisa

gacunt1964
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Salman,

We are in the process of Dual Stacking our network. However we have struck an problem with IOS on the 6500 Supervisor 32 (PISA).

Cisco Flagship Catalyst Family seems to lack IPv6 functionality for Campus networking.

We have 4 x 6500 Supervisor 32 (PISA) within our enterprise running , IOS s32p3-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.ZYA3b . This is the latest IOS available for the PISA Supervisor.

However, when turning on IPv6 we miss the  command set forDHCPv6(DHCP-Relay) and also HSRPv6 (namely version2).

Within the native Supervisor 32, 12.2(33), and Supervisor 720, 12.2(33), series IOS the features(command set) are there.

Attachment - shows the command sets that we experience problems with.

We curently have an Case with the TAC and the solution back from the TAC is that this is an hardware limitation issue.

Can you by any chance explain why these features are not available within the PISA series.

Can you recommend an solution or alternative for this issue.

Very much appreciated and Regards

Greg Caunt

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Salman Asadullah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Greg,

The TAC has provided you accurate information.

SUP32-PISA is in maintainance mode (i.e. it will not be able to support IPv6 features you mentioned and there is no new development can be done). In this case I would recommend you to either upgrade the hardware which is currenlty available or contact your Cisco Account team to explore other possibilities. When talking to your Cisco account team please also inquire about SUP-2T which is suppose to be shipped in near future and has industry leading IPv6 feature support and IPv4 feature parity.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Salman

View solution in original post

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your understanding!

Please explore the paths I've explained in my previous response (i.e.get existing SUP-720 or wait for upcoming SUP-2T).

Regards,

Salman

From a developer:

There will be no new features added to the Sup32-PISA.

Sup32-PISA end of life is documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/eol_c51_588273.html

The last time features were added to Sup32-PISA was 12.2(18)ZYA1 in Dec 2008 and the previous large feature release was 12.2(18)ZYA in Aug 2008 which was based off of 12.2(18)SXF15.

Release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2ZY/release/notes/ol_13011.html#wp39988

The IPv6 HSRP feature did not come to the mainstream Sup32/Sup720 until 12.2(33)SXI in Nov 2008.

5 Replies 5

Salman Asadullah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Greg,

The TAC has provided you accurate information.

SUP32-PISA is in maintainance mode (i.e. it will not be able to support IPv6 features you mentioned and there is no new development can be done). In this case I would recommend you to either upgrade the hardware which is currenlty available or contact your Cisco Account team to explore other possibilities. When talking to your Cisco account team please also inquire about SUP-2T which is suppose to be shipped in near future and has industry leading IPv6 feature support and IPv4 feature parity.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Salman

Salman,

Thanks for the reply, it is very much appreciated.

I have also seen the PISA is EOL/EOS, with the last engineering code September2011. Do you know if/when an new IOS will come available for the PISA which may include the IPv6 features mentioned. We will of course explore other options.

Again thank you very much for the feedback and assistance.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your understanding!

Please explore the paths I've explained in my previous response (i.e.get existing SUP-720 or wait for upcoming SUP-2T).

Regards,

Salman

From a developer:

There will be no new features added to the Sup32-PISA.

Sup32-PISA end of life is documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/eol_c51_588273.html

The last time features were added to Sup32-PISA was 12.2(18)ZYA1 in Dec 2008 and the previous large feature release was 12.2(18)ZYA in Aug 2008 which was based off of 12.2(18)SXF15.

Release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2ZY/release/notes/ol_13011.html#wp39988

The IPv6 HSRP feature did not come to the mainstream Sup32/Sup720 until 12.2(33)SXI in Nov 2008.

Phillip/Salman,

Thank you both for your feedback, comments and assistance. It is very much appreciated.

I have approached our Cisco Account team to take up the challenge.

Greg

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card