cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable ipv6 on Cisco VG224

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We have a vulnerability scanner that we use and it has picked up that our Voice GW has a "Cisco IPv6 Crafted Packet Vulnerability"

I entered the commands "no ipv6 unicast-routing" and "no ipv6 cef" the next scan is in a weeks time, but would these have done the trick?

Thank you

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The "null 0" interface is the equivalent of /dev/null in unix.  It is a write-only interface used to discard packets quickly.  There are cases where routing a packet to the null inetrface is the fastest way to discard it.

As a write only interface, there should be no kind of vulnerability associated with it.

There may be a cometic bug that the interface is visiable at all, but functionally speaking there is no real inetrface running IPv6 in this configuration.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which scanner are you using, and how did it determine the vulnerability?

If IPv6 is disabled, there should be no issue.

Qualys vulnerability scanner, the version of ios is vg224-i6k9s-mz.124-24.T5.bin

The report states:

IPv6 is the "Internet Protocol Version 6", designed by the Internet  Engineering Task Force (IETF) to replace Internet Protocol Version 4  (IPv4).

A vulnerability exists in the processing of IPv6 packets. Crafted  packets from the local segment received on logical interfaces (that is,  tunnels including 6to4 tunnels) as well as physical interfaces can  trigger this vulnerability. Crafted packets cannot traverse a 6to4  tunnel and attack a box across the tunnel.

The crafted packet must be sent from a local network segment to  trigger the attack. This vulnerability cannot be exploited one or more  hops from the IOS device.

NOTE: This check requires that the "Clear Text Password" check box is enabled in your Authentication Preferences.

IMPACT:
Successful exploitation of the vulnerability on Cisco IOS may  result in a reload of the device or execution of arbitrary code.  Repeated exploitation could result in a sustained denial of service  attack or execution of arbitrary code on Cisco IOS devices.

Successful exploitation of the vulnerability on Cisco IOS-XR may  result in a restart of the IPv6 neighbor discovery process. A restart of  this process will only affect IPv6 traffic passing through the system.  All other processes and traffic will be unaffected. Repeated  exploitation could result in a sustained denial of service attack on  IPv6 traffic.

SOLUTION:
Cisco has made free software available to address this vulnerability for all affected customers.

Workaround:
In networks where IPv6 is not needed but enabled, disabling IPv6  processing on an IOS device will eliminate exposure to this  vulnerability. On a router which is configured for IPv6, this must be  done by issuing the command "no ipv6 enable" and "no ipv6 address" on  each interface.

VG224-1(config)#no ipv6 enable

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

VG224-1(config)#int fa0/0

VG224-1(config-if)#no ipv6 enable

VG224-1(config-if)#int fa0/1    

VG224-1(config-if)#no ipv6 enable

What does the note in bold mean? There's no check box in cli :-/

Thank you

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Does it just scan the configuration information or does it actually test for the vulnerability by probing?

Does it refer to a specific Cisco Security Advisory?

Based on the text you included (which seems to be directly copied from Cisco documents without attribution), it sounds like this may be referring to:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/csa/cisco-sa-20050126-ipv6.html

Which is an ancient vulnerability.   12.4T never had that bug.

I think your next call should be to Qualsys.

I don't understand the bold text either.  That is the only text not lifted verbatim from the Cisco Security Advisory.

Hi Phillip,

The reply I got is the below:

It is a potential vuln - this means that the Qualys  scanner cannot confirm 100% that the vuln exists or doesn't exist - but the  scanning engine gathered enough info to make guess that it does.  Therefore it  cannot auto-close the ticket...
It reads the configs but also may probe via port scans  and fingerprinting
For this particular vuln, I can manually close the  tickets if you can confirm that IPv6 has been disabled...
And yes, Qualys takes its info from vendor security  bulletins and builds a QID ticket based on this and the  results.
So just disable IPv6 on all VGs and then let me  know.

So have I correctly disabled ipv6? :-/

Thanks for your help

Having said this I found the below - should have checked before. I cant actually see this interface in the show interface output.

VG224-1#show ipv6 route

IPv6 Routing Table - Default - 1 entries

Codes: C - Connected, L - Local, S - Static, U - Per-user Static route

R - RIP

L   FF00::/8 [0/0]

via Null0, receive

VG224-1(config)# interface Null0

VG224-1(config-if)#no ipv6 ? 

unreachables  Enable sending of ICMP Unreachable messages

VG224-1(config-if)#ipv    

VG224-1(config-if)#ipv6 ?

unreachables  Enable sending of ICMP Unreachable messages

Do voice GW's use the Null 0 interface and for what purpose? There's no way of disabling ipv6 under the interface...?

The "null 0" interface is the equivalent of /dev/null in unix.  It is a write-only interface used to discard packets quickly.  There are cases where routing a packet to the null inetrface is the fastest way to discard it.

As a write only interface, there should be no kind of vulnerability associated with it.

There may be a cometic bug that the interface is visiable at all, but functionally speaking there is no real inetrface running IPv6 in this configuration.