Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestion Needed for Transition of IPv4 to IPv6

veddotcom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

Currently I am getting project of conversion of IPv4 network to IPv6. Network running on IPv4 is connected to ISP providing IPv4 Internet. I know NAT-PT would easily do that, but since NAT-PT does conversion, hence defeating the purpose of converting into IPv6.

As far as i know about Dual Stack, it runs separate IPv4 and IPv6 network. host present in IPv4 network won't be able to talk to IPv6 host.right?

dual stack.png

i.e R1 and R2 wouldn't talk to each other, Right?

So Suggest me, how can i make IPv6 network to talk to IPv4 Internet without NATTING (i.e address translating)? or I will have to use NAT-PT for that?

1 Reply 1

Michael Vincent
Level 1
Level 1

In your scenario, R1 and R2 will talk - they are both IPv4.  R2 and R3 on the other hand won't talk as R2 is IPv4 and R3 is IPv6.  R1 should be running both IPv4 and IPv6, although not necessarily dual-stack - both IPv4 and IPv6 on both interfaces (to R2 and R3).

If R2 and R3 indeed really need to communicate, you can dual stack the interfaces on R1 - put an IPv6 address on the R1 interface to R2 (and give R2 a corresponding IPv6 address) and put an IPv4 address on the R1 interface to R3 (and give R3 a corresponding IPv4 address).

The only way to have an IPv4 host talk to an IPv6 host is through some sort of translation technique (NAT-PT (deprecated), DNS64/NAT64, SLB64, AFT ...).

cheers.