cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What would be the necessary IPV6 configs for this topology to gain ful

vladionescu26
Level 1
Level 1

I have this topology and I don't know why the pings don't work properly across networks, and even in the same network for vlan 10 and 20.

vladionescu26_0-1693499105417.png

Circled with black are the vlans.

Every device is properly configured with an ipv6 address and a gateway (SW and PCS)

The topology works perfectly for IPV4.

I also ran ipv6 rip OurRip enable and ipv6 enable on each interface of every router. (Gi0/2.30,Gi0/2.40,Gi0/2.99 for the right-most router and vlan 10 and 20 for the MSW for example)

For pings from the toolbox PC to the vlan 10 PC I get Destination host unreachable. From the vlan 10 pc to the upper vlan 10 switch I get request timed out. From vlan 40 PC to vlan 30 PC pings work, but to the vlan 30 SW I get request timed out. Sorry if the post isn't too professional but I truly have no idea what the problem is.

Sorry if I didn't post this in the right place !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @vladionescu26 ,

There seems to be a shortcoming with Packet Tracer to support IPv6 inside a VLAN. I came up with this alternate design using subinterfaces for VLAN 10 and 20. After these changes, I could ping all PCs on VLAN 10,20,30 and 40 from the PC on the top left.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @vladionescu26 ,

Could please zip your .pkt file and attach it to this post.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I added a zip with the .pkt file and a pretty messy addressing scheme to maybe make it easier to follow since the .pkt is already quite messy.
I tried to make it work with RIPng and static RIP.

Hi @vladionescu26 ,

There seems to be a shortcoming with Packet Tracer to support IPv6 inside a VLAN. I came up with this alternate design using subinterfaces for VLAN 10 and 20. After these changes, I could ping all PCs on VLAN 10,20,30 and 40 from the PC on the top left.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks you so much and I apologize for having you having to troubleshoot such a messy topology. I'm really curious, was there something wrong on my end or why did Packet Tracer act like this? Also, why did removing the switch and the MSW make it work ?

Thanks a lot !

Hi @vladionescu26 ,

I'm really curious, was there something wrong on my end or why did Packet Tracer act like this?

Your configuration was good. 

Also, why did removing the switch and the MSW make it work ?

What made it work was to move from a SVI based design to a dot1q subinterface based design. The subinterface configuration is only supported on a router in Packet Tracer. That is the reason I terminated VLAN 10 and 20 on the 2911 gig0/2 interface. I could have come up with a different design, but I wanted to keep things simple.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México