Views
Helpful
Replies

1805 router crashes

PETE KOFOD
Level 1
Level 1

All:

We have an 1805 router that terminates business class cable (2 Mbs up and down).  The circuit is provisioned by the leading cable provider in our area, but is resold by a SIP service provider.  We use the connection to carry both voice and data.  We have no voice quality issues.

Over the last several months, the 1805 will crash intermittently.  Sometimes it will go for days or even a couple of weeks without crashing.  Other times it will crash a couple of times in a day.  Since it is not "our" equipment, we don't have access to it.  That being said, our service provider has had a couple of different theories.  The latest one is that we are exceeding the DOCSIS Packet Per Second (pps) limitation, which in turn is causing the router to lock up.  They are suggesting that our only alternative is to upgrade to a fiber based MetroE link. 

Prior to having the cable solution we had a data T1 that carried both voice and data, all with no issues.

Does their theory hold water?  I asked them if other clients experienced this and they said no.  Their explanation that exceeding PPS on the cable interface just doesn't sit right with me.  If anything, it should just discard packets.  What am I missing?  I find it hard to believe that an 1805 is not able to deal with what is, purportedly, PPS oversubscription.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  As mentioned, we don't have access to the device and we don't even have direct access to the carrier's support so it will be difficult to provide any debugs.  I am just skeptical that we should reflexively accept the answer that says "PPS limitation.  You must upgrade."

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your provider is trying to squeeze you for more money and/or trying to "con" you.  Here are my reasons:

Over the last several months, the 1805 will crash intermittently.  Sometimes it will go for days or even a couple of weeks without crashing.  Other times it will crash a couple of times in a day.

Router crashes for a variety of reasons.  The most common are IOS bugs and/or hardware failure.

Their explanation that exceeding PPS on the cable interface just doesn't sit right with me.  If anything, it should just discard packets.

With CEF enabled, the 1800 series, particularly the 1801 up to the 1812, can support up to 35.84 Mbps of un-encrypted and half duplex.  Presume you are running a fully encrypted and full dupex link and this will take the figure down to around 8.96 Mbps.

One of your solutions is to ask your provider to furnish you a detailed reason as to why they believe you should upgrade to an ME link.  Maybe a technical information as to why the 1805 is not sufficient or why the router is crashing regularly.  You also have to tell your supplier that you are going to take this document and have it "vetted" for accuracy and veracity. 

Hope this works.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your provider is trying to squeeze you for more money and/or trying to "con" you.  Here are my reasons:

Over the last several months, the 1805 will crash intermittently.  Sometimes it will go for days or even a couple of weeks without crashing.  Other times it will crash a couple of times in a day.

Router crashes for a variety of reasons.  The most common are IOS bugs and/or hardware failure.

Their explanation that exceeding PPS on the cable interface just doesn't sit right with me.  If anything, it should just discard packets.

With CEF enabled, the 1800 series, particularly the 1801 up to the 1812, can support up to 35.84 Mbps of un-encrypted and half duplex.  Presume you are running a fully encrypted and full dupex link and this will take the figure down to around 8.96 Mbps.

One of your solutions is to ask your provider to furnish you a detailed reason as to why they believe you should upgrade to an ME link.  Maybe a technical information as to why the 1805 is not sufficient or why the router is crashing regularly.  You also have to tell your supplier that you are going to take this document and have it "vetted" for accuracy and veracity. 

Hope this works.

Turns out it was a card on the carrier side.  They are "scrambling" to fix it (though I wont hold my breath).

Thank you.