Views
Helpful
Replies

CTM vs. CTC

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

I am evaluating the utility of CTM for our network. Given a bunch (<20) of ONS 15454s and a pair of 15600's, I don't personally see a whole lot of value added utility from CTM.

CTC with node groups gives one situational awareness over the whole network. Inventory is per box with CTC (as opposed to global with CTM). I know that CTM gives one performance metrics and northbound interface to an OSS, but we don't use one nor do we have plans to in the near future. CM offers a HA solution, but I can log into any node with CTC and get access to the other node groups.

Any comments?

3 Replies 3

tgimmel
Level 1
Level 1

With a small network of 20 nodes, you will not find many advantages to CTM. Its CTC on steriods. But if you only have 20 to 50 nodes the need is not so great and there are maintenance items that cannot be done in CTM that can be done in CTC. However as your network grows past 100+ nodes, the need for CTC will become more apparent. If you need more info let me know.

Tim

Your indication matches my inital impression. I have an eval copy of CTM installed looking at our lab. If you have any additional information, I'd welcome it (my email is @ switchanddata.com, same userid as above).

CCO's information is very sparse.

mosho
Level 1
Level 1

1. CTM gives you the ability to backup your nodes database at your configured schedule time and it keeps 7 days worth of backups. This can be invaluable if you suddenly loose your node and you need to recover quickly.

2. CTM allows a schedule software download and activation on your nodes for upgrade purposes. Although you could do this on a laptop but the process must not be interupted until it is completed.

3.CTM keeps a record of all Alarms and events in its database for up to 365 days.This can be useful in troubleshooting and tracking network problems.

4.If you have nodes with different software releases you will have to login to the nodes with the highest release first before you could see other nodes. CTM gives native node provisioning regardless of the software release.

5.CTM gives you the ability to manipulates alarms and event data across all your nodes for reporting or presentation purposes.

6.These are just few of the features available in CTM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: