Helpful
Replies

IOS XE, errdisable commands missing?

dgomez2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi experts,

My doubt is pretty simple.

What happend with the commands of err-disable recovery.. on IOS XE?

How I configure:

err-disable recovery cause link-flap

err-disable recovery cause psecure-violation

err-disable recovery cause udld

For example?

I can´t find any information about that, only for udld because it has procedure itself.

thanks in advance,

Daniel

4 Replies 4

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
switch can move port to state err-disabled due to many reasons.
for example: BPDU guard enabled on port where you connected another switch, or due to port-security violation, etc.

if you want to activate port in err-disabled state, you have to go in configuration on that port and type commands shutdown and no shutdown.

If you configure err-disable recovery, then port can be brought to up state after some time automatically.
At first you must specify in which situation it should be brought up automatically "errdisable recovery cause..." and then you must configure time after which it should be moved to up state with command "errdisabled recovery interval..."

HI Milos, thanks for your answer.

But my question is, these procedure that you comment, obeys to the procedure that in IOS I can apply, but in IOS XE these commands aren´t present. Then, the real question is:

Are there any synonymous commands in IOS XE to activate these features:

err-disable recovery cause link-flap

err-disable recovery cause psecure-violation

err-disable recovery cause udld

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

dgomez2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi experts,

Please, anybody have other idea?

Anybody know where I can find documentation about that?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

To answer your question, no. The ASR920 has no err-disable, or port recovery of any sort. If you're on another IOS-XE switching platform I imagine you are probably facing a similar frustration.

Storm control on the ASR920 (which we wanted err-disable for) is a big, buggy joke. We bought some to lab up a scenario to replace some catalyst gear, and had it triggering on ports that had nothing connected! This is a log from a switch with storm control set to 1% of bandwidth on a port that wasn't even connected to anything:

*Mar 11 23:51:10.556: %STORM_CONTROL-3-SHUTDOWN: A packet storm was detected on Gi0/0/0. The interface has been disabled.
*Mar 11 23:52:27.917: %STORM_CONTROL-3-SHUTDOWN: A packet storm was detected on Gi0/0/0. The interface has been disabled.
*Mar 11 23:52:33.932: %STORM_CONTROL-3-SHUTDOWN: A packet storm was detected on Gi0/0/0. The interface has been disabled.
*Mar 11 23:52:42.952: %STORM_CONTROL-3-SHUTDOWN: A packet storm was detected on Gi0/0/0. The interface has been disabled.
*Mar 11 23:52:59.990: %STORM_CONTROL-3-SHUTDOWN: A packet storm was detected on Gi0/0/0. The interface has been disabled.
*Mar 11 23:55:53.876: %STORM_CONTROL-3-SHUTDOWN: A packet storm was detected on Gi0/0/0. The interface has been disabled.
*Mar 11 23:55:56.879: %STORM_CONTROL-3-SHUTDOWN: A packet storm was detected on Gi0/0/0. The interface has been disabled.

It would generate that every minute or so forever, even though the port was shut down (by storm control) and there wasn't even an SFP plugged in! The packet counters are still at zero across the board!

Cisco are not winning me over with their metro gear so far...