cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assume an MPLS Provider get INTERNET From its Partner ISP who has 2 x IG(Internet Gateway) with Full BGP Routing Table

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hello WorldWide Freinds

Design Question pls guys

Assume an MPLS Provider get INTERNET From its Partner ISP who has 2 x IG(Internet Gateway) with Full BGP Routing Table

My Question, on wich Device in MPLS Provider we should terminate the Connectivity  to Partner 2 x  IG , I am assuming its iBGP session

is it on P   or   PE     or ASBR

any Design Doc out there

Thanks and Best Regards

Ibrahim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think what you are looking for is how to get the ISP's default route to advertise it into MPLS network, correct? then your question if that route should go to a P, PE o ASBR refers to the type of connectivity to establish with Internet Gateway Router.

AS everything in routing, it depends.

If you want to handle the default route independent from your MPLS infrastructure, then the PE is the option, you will have the default route into a VRF and with a RD you import this route from any other PE, providing customers with internet, however, you could have some issues when addressing from multiple customers overlap.

You can also get the default route into your MPLS infraestructure (global VRF) and do some import-map to get the route into customer's VRF at a PE router, like having an extra customer's site where they "get" internet, this could happen in ASBR, but importing the route happens always with BGP.

For the P router option, it's similar, you get the route into BGP and then you can import it into multiple VRF always in a PE, this is not that good because customer's traffic will traverse global vrf for your network, and ultimate goal to have L3VPN is to isolate multi tenant traffic.

For advice you can read MPLS fundamentals, chapter 7 MPLS VPN, section Internet Access page 237, there you can find how to advertise a default route in an MPLS network. I had the honor to get MPLS training from Luc, the author, he's a great guy and has a deep understanding of ISP architecture.

Please @Ibrahim Jamil if you consider an answer helps you, mark it as useful.

Edit: I found some useful links:

Internet Access from an MPLS VPN Using a Global Routing Table

Introduction to Cisco MPLS VPN Technology

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_white_paper09186a00800a85c5.shtml#wp31356

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_white_paper09186a00801281f1.shtml#wp39724

CCIE 52804

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lespejel
Level 3
Level 3

@Ibrahim Jamil

I don't get your scenario, please elaborate.

you can read the configuration guides, perhaps you will find what you need:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/mp_l3_vpns/configuration/xe-16/mp-l3-vpns-xe-16-book.html

CCIE 52804

Hi Buddy

we have only DSP Network , we get internet service from ISP in order to give our DSP Customers internet as well , aka we dont have Internet BGP + full routing Table

thanks

I think what you are looking for is how to get the ISP's default route to advertise it into MPLS network, correct? then your question if that route should go to a P, PE o ASBR refers to the type of connectivity to establish with Internet Gateway Router.

AS everything in routing, it depends.

If you want to handle the default route independent from your MPLS infrastructure, then the PE is the option, you will have the default route into a VRF and with a RD you import this route from any other PE, providing customers with internet, however, you could have some issues when addressing from multiple customers overlap.

You can also get the default route into your MPLS infraestructure (global VRF) and do some import-map to get the route into customer's VRF at a PE router, like having an extra customer's site where they "get" internet, this could happen in ASBR, but importing the route happens always with BGP.

For the P router option, it's similar, you get the route into BGP and then you can import it into multiple VRF always in a PE, this is not that good because customer's traffic will traverse global vrf for your network, and ultimate goal to have L3VPN is to isolate multi tenant traffic.

For advice you can read MPLS fundamentals, chapter 7 MPLS VPN, section Internet Access page 237, there you can find how to advertise a default route in an MPLS network. I had the honor to get MPLS training from Luc, the author, he's a great guy and has a deep understanding of ISP architecture.

Please @Ibrahim Jamil if you consider an answer helps you, mark it as useful.

Edit: I found some useful links:

Internet Access from an MPLS VPN Using a Global Routing Table

Introduction to Cisco MPLS VPN Technology

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_white_paper09186a00800a85c5.shtml#wp31356

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_white_paper09186a00801281f1.shtml#wp39724

CCIE 52804

thanks bro for ur effort

Happy to help.

CCIE 52804