Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR9K MPLS-TE Auto-Tunnel P2P

Steven4699
Level 1
Level 1

Good day, Guys,

I noticed that there is a command "mpls traffic-eng auto-tunnel p2p" on Cisco XR router.

Does that mean we can use this to automatically create multiple P2P mpls-te tunnels?

Regarding this, i search for much materials but still don't know how to configure it to take effect?

Appreciate for any help or reference!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AnthonySylvester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Steven4699,

It seems that you may be interested in configuring MPLS-TE Auto-Tunnel Mesh. Per the link below:

"The MPLS traffic engineering auto-tunnel mesh (Auto-mesh) feature allows you to set up full mesh of TE P2P tunnels automatically with a minimal set of MPLS traffic engineering configurations. You may configure one or more mesh-groups. Each mesh-group requires a destination-list (IPv4 prefix-list) listing destinations, which are used as destinations for creating tunnels for that mesh-group."

Link: ASR9K 7.5.x MPLS-TE Auto-Tunnel Mesh 

The above link was for IOS XR 7.5.x. I would recommend searching for the MPLS Config Guide for your platform and SW release from this site: ASR9K IOS-XR Config Guides 

If you follow along in that config guide, you will be able to create a destination prefix-list which will be used to tell the router who to create a mpls-te tunnel with.

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

Anthony Sylvester

** Please remember to mark this post if it was helpful. **
Anthony Sylvester

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

AnthonySylvester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Steven4699,

It seems that you may be interested in configuring MPLS-TE Auto-Tunnel Mesh. Per the link below:

"The MPLS traffic engineering auto-tunnel mesh (Auto-mesh) feature allows you to set up full mesh of TE P2P tunnels automatically with a minimal set of MPLS traffic engineering configurations. You may configure one or more mesh-groups. Each mesh-group requires a destination-list (IPv4 prefix-list) listing destinations, which are used as destinations for creating tunnels for that mesh-group."

Link: ASR9K 7.5.x MPLS-TE Auto-Tunnel Mesh 

The above link was for IOS XR 7.5.x. I would recommend searching for the MPLS Config Guide for your platform and SW release from this site: ASR9K IOS-XR Config Guides 

If you follow along in that config guide, you will be able to create a destination prefix-list which will be used to tell the router who to create a mpls-te tunnel with.

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

Anthony Sylvester

Anthony Sylvester

Hi, Anthony Sylvester,

Thank you for the guide, it helps.

But i'm still confused about a question, if we use "auto-tunnel mesh" feature to set up full mesh of TE P2P tunnels, then what this command "mpls traffic-eng auto-tunnel p2p" is used for?

Thanks,

Steven

Hey Steven,

I was only able to find this IOS XE SR-TE doc that specifically references the p2p option. From that doc, we can glean that "mpls traffic-eng auto-tunnel p2p" is used to automatically establish a peer-to-peer tunnel with the node associated with the last index in the path list. So, if you create a path list, create a static route entry that says to use that path, and the configure auto-tunnel p2p - when traffic matches that entry, a tunnel will be created between the originating router and the end router. When there is no more traffic, the tunnel will tear down.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

- Anthony Sylvester

Anthony Sylvester