Helpful
Replies

disable smart license on C9606R

AliDoskii
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks,

My Router CPU is getting to 99%.

MY LDP destroyed many times because of that as i searched through community they suggested to factory reset smart license then reload the router.

my question here is this:

Does factory resetting smart license effect router performance or configuration just curious about it?

Thanks,
Ali Doskilogs.png

C9606R.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@AliDoskii wrote:
Does factory resetting smart license effect router performance or configuration just curious about it?

Resetting CSL (and rebooting the chassis) is only a workaround.  Memory leaks by Cisco Smart License will eventually come back.

Cisco Smart License cannot be disabled.  If, however, you just so happen to be a very big "whale", you might be able to talk to your Cisco AM/SE and ask for a specially made SMU to disable CSL.  

What firmware is the chassis running on?  Is it 16.12.5b (and older)?  It could possibly be caused by FN - 72323 - Cisco IOS XE Software: QuoVadis Root CA 2 Decommission Might Affect Smart Licensing, Smart Call Home, and Other Functionality.

The picture below is the memory utilization of the control-plane when it is affected by FN-72323.  Note, the QuoVadis certificate expired on March 2022.  

3850 (4 x switches), Firmware version:  16.12.4, Uptime:  1y43w4d3850 (4 x switches), Firmware version: 16.12.4, Uptime: 1y43w4d

If the chassis is running on a firmware version affected by FN-72323 then Workaround #2 will stabilize the memory leak in a month or two.  

There are many bugs that revolves around Cisco Smart License, they are: 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@AliDoskii wrote:

Resetting CSL (and rebooting the chassis) is only a workaround.  Memory leaks by Cisco Smart License will eventually come back.

Cisco Smart License cannot be disabled.  If, however, you just so happen to be a very big "whale", you might be able to talk to your Cisco AM/SE and ask for a specially made SMU to disable CSL.  

What firmware is the chassis running on?  Is it 16.12.5b (and older)?  It could possibly be caused by FN - 72323 - Cisco IOS XE Software: QuoVadis Root CA 2 Decommission Might Affect Smart Licensing, Smart Call Home, and Other Functionality.

The picture below is the memory utilization of the control-plane when it is affected by FN-72323.  Note, the QuoVadis certificate expired on March 2022.  

3850 (4 x switches), Firmware version:  16.12.4, Uptime:  1y43w4d3850 (4 x switches), Firmware version: 16.12.4, Uptime: 1y43w4d

If the chassis is running on a firmware version affected by FN-72323 then Workaround #2 will stabilize the memory leak in a month or two.  

There are many bugs that revolves around Cisco Smart License, they are: