cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dual route reflectors

jamesma01
Level 1
Level 1

when I have dual route reflectors for redundancy purpose, how can I specify one as primary route reflector for all clients?

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Akash Agrawal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If both RRs are advertising same BGP prefix with next-hop information, i guess all BGP attributes will be same other than advertising router-id. You can use the 11th tie breaker in BGP best-path selection criteria. So the RR you want to make primary should have lowest router-id.

11. Prefer the route that comes from the BGP router with the lowest router ID.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/13753-25.html

--Pls dont forget to rate helpful posts--

Regards,

Akash

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Akash Agrawal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If both RRs are advertising same BGP prefix with next-hop information, i guess all BGP attributes will be same other than advertising router-id. You can use the 11th tie breaker in BGP best-path selection criteria. So the RR you want to make primary should have lowest router-id.

11. Prefer the route that comes from the BGP router with the lowest router ID.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/13753-25.html

--Pls dont forget to rate helpful posts--

Regards,

Akash

Akash,

Your explanation makes sense to me. SO it seems the only way is to manipulate the router ID.

I would like to specify primary router reflector, because by looking at OSPF topology, I do prefer one RR over the other.

Thanks,

While selecting best BGP path, router does consider IGP metric to next-hop but not to advertisign router, because ultimately traffic has to go to next-hop. So IGP cost to RR should not matter here AFAIK.

Regards,

Akash 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: