cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to determine routing performance on a 48 port 3750 switch

Hawk
Level 1
Level 1

So if my reasearch is correct there is no data sheet or info online that explicitly says "layer 3 throughput =x".  What I do find is that Max Packets Per Second based on 64 Byte packets would be the only Layer 3 performance info available from cisco.  Is this correct?  If so may calculations say that a 48 port 3750 is able to support around 5 Gbps of bandwidth.  Is this correct? cisco.PNG

5 Replies 5

lespejel
Level 3
Level 3

@Hawk

the table describes how many packets you can forward based on CEF, it's important that a switch or router will move packets based on ASIC's capacity but it's also affected by enabled features, if you run routing, vrf, IPv6, all those factors affect the numbers you found, it's not than simple.

regards

CCIE 52804

Ok let me see if I can ask the question as simply put as possible.  What is the max layer 3 throughput of a 48 port 3750 & how do you determine that?  We are upgrading from a 2 Gbps circuit to a 4 Gbps circuit & I need to know if the switch can handle that.

it should handle it, because your switch will move packets towards a single interface with 1000 Mbps capacity.

CCIE 52804

So a 1 gig interface can support 4 gigs of traffic?  Is that at layer 2 or 3?

hello @Hawk

of course 1 single 1Gbps interface can't handle 4 Gbps, but you can use a port channel and switch can handle that traffic volume.

If you need to aggregate the the BW into one interface, then you need a 10Gbps port.

one suggestion is to use a new switch, that platform is not supported anymore.

CCIE 52804
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: