cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to implement pim-ssm over mpls with sparse-mode and test by notebook from vlc player ?

How to implement pim-ssm over mpls with sparse-mode and test by notebook from vlc player

6 Replies 6

Vaibhava Varma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi PlawanSai

Implementing PIM SSM over MPLS Backbone will not require any RP in the Core and SSM-MAPs would be required at the edge for mapping Multicast Stream to Source which the receivers would be explicitly joining.The Core Interfaces ( and Access Interaces would be enabled with PIM-SM as usual)

^**************************^

Global Config

ip igmp ssm-map static XYZ(Stream Name) A.B.C.D(Stream Unicast Source)

ip access-list standard XYZ

permit E.F.G.H(Stream Multicast IP)

Interface Config

L3-Gateway Interace for LAN users

ip igmp static-group E.F.G.H source ssm-map

*^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*

Regarding the VLC Player Testing I am not very sure how to test it..Hope the experts around help you on same..I always test it using Static IGMP Groups on the L3-LAN Gateway Interface but in that case I don't use SSM -MAP..SO if in this case we have the SSM-MAP enables I think if we can somehow make the VLC send a request for Multicast Stream in question it shoud work..Below is some points I found online for "using VLC Player for multicast testing"

Using UDP to stream to multiple recipients

locate a suitable video file (e.g. “file.avi”) and open a command prompt (windows) or terminal window (Linux).  Change to the directory where file.avi exists.

On the server enter:

vlc -vvv file.avi –sout udp:239.0.0.1 –ttl 12 –loop

NOTE:  If VLC is not in your path, you need to add it.  To do this, type “set” to show your existing path, e.g.

path=c:\php;C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ZipGenius 6\;C:\usr\bin;C:\Program Files\SSH Communications Security\SSH Secure Shell\

Now add the VLC directory to the path, with “set path”:

set path=c:\php;C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ZipGenius 6\;C:\usr\bin;C:\Program Files\SSH Communications Security\SSH Secure Shell\;C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\

On the client(s) enter:

vlc -vvv udp:@239.0.0.1

OR from the VLC player:

Media > Open Network  (then choose UDP and enter multicast address).

Hope this provides some insight to your query and help to move forward in your testing..

Regards

Varma

shivjain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi

Please check the below link for full deployment of SSM in SP cloud

http://www.mplsvpn.info/2009/05/deploying-testing-of-ssm-in-service.html

Also in vlc simply on one laptop you have to announced it as server in vlc options itself and others will join that group.

regards

shivlu jain

Thank you very much. But now I would like to implement in global not in vrf. I configured in vrf is work.

yes it will work. Because SSM is for your global.

http://www.mplsvpn.info/2009/02/implementation-of-ssm.html

regards

shivlu jain

Now, My lab has 3 PE (PE1 -- PE2 -- PE3) and test by vlc connected to PE1 & PE3 is not work, I configured below:

PE1# and PE2, PE3 is same command changed interface.

ip multicast-routing

!

interface Loopback0

ip pim sparse-mode

ip igmp version 3

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/0

description to PE2

ip pim sparse-mode

ip igmp version 3

!

interface Vlan40