Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Connect

winfulmatts
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning all,

A client wants me to configure IP CONNECT on a cisco router in their site, She said the service provider will provide the line for me to use and she wants me to do the configurations. 

I have not done anything about IP CONNECT before now, the issue here is what and what are the needed materials for this?

Do i need a special card to connect the line to the cisco router?

What kind of configurations am i suppose to do on the router to make it work?

is IP CONNECT same as VPN connections?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Win,

I am not aware of any feature/technology as IP CONNECT as such. A quick search shows that it is a terminology used by ISP (primarily in South Africa) to indicate big WAN which in turn appears to be ADSL connectivity.

It is better to check more from your Service Provider to confirm if it is ADSL connectivity they are referring and check the availability of relevant port/card in your box.

-Nagendra

kumar, 

My ISP is etisalat in the United Arab Emirates. What i found out from an engineer here that have been working in an environment where it was deployed before is that the ISP provides it, its an MPLS link, they will provide you already configured routers and the line, then you just connect it to one of the ports of your existing router and you try to connect to the  other office on the other end.

It is mainly a type of IP VPN for safe path connection between two offices.

ok. it sounds like SP managed CPE.  Hope it wokred for you.

-Nagendra

I have forwarded my enquiry to the ISP and they are the ones that will provide the routers at both ends of the link and configure it, my own job is just to make sure the switchport will be configured to support it, which is quite easy. 

Thanks