cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate limit on cisco 7604

bangladesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , i work for a company in bangladesh and i am a bit new to cisco devices.

I need to deploy a 7604 and customers will be directly connected to the 7604 via  a CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX module.

My first question : policing on cisco switches , can it be applied on egress , ingress or both. I need to rate limit customers traffic and i am not sure if policing can be performed in both directions. I was planning into converting the ports into L2 ports via the switchport command and then apply policing  via service-policy. This is the simplest setup for me.  A friend from nepal told me that rate limiting can only be applied on egress on cisco switches. Is that correct?  

My setup is like this : Huwaei MPLS Core----Port Channel---Cisco 7604--Customers.

The huawei is the PE and no mpls/ldp is running over the port channel.

Second question , policing(rate limiting) on L3 ports : can it be applied on egress , ingress or both? If yes , then i will bridge vlan-subinterface on the port channel and the physical ports of the customers(L3). I shall then apply rate limiting/policing on the interfaces.

I simply need to perform rate limiting for both ingress and egress. No shaping is required.

This 7604 is supposed to be transparent for the customers ( no IP configuration will be done ). 

Any ideas how i can achieve this?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

bangladesh
Level 1
Level 1

sh version
Cisco IOS Software, c7600rsp72043_rp Software (c7600rsp72043_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(33)SRE4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

for your info.

thanks

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

Could you please share show module output from the router. Cisco 7600 with PFC3 supports both ingress and egress policing. For configuration and working behavior of policing on Lan cards like 67xx modules, Please refer to the below CCO documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white_paper_c11_538840.html

Regards

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit