Views
Helpful
Replies

ME 3800 X : Problem on VPLS / MultiHomed and MST

a.auvinet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problem of configuration of STP on my switches.

The central switch is peered with two ME-3800X .

I have  imposed the " l2protocol forward" on interface of 3800X, but i have an error on the central switch:

- STP dispute on interface Gi 0/25

- The interface 0/27 is STP forward state.

No loop, the interface 0/25 is blocked , dispute.

See the  diagram .pdf please.

Help me !

AndrƩ.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, seems like same bug i had told you before.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andre',

STP dispute occurs when a switch detetcts that a neighbor switch does not react to superior BPDU's sent by it and keeps on sending inferior BPDU's on that link with designated role and learning bit on.

In order to avoid possible loops (the assumption is that the link to the neighbor switch is unidirectional) the switch puts that port in blocking state - dispute. This is the theory.

About your case I suppose that the central switch is supposdely the root bridge, or it should be, correct?

About the BPDU's handling from Me3800x perspective, what those switches should do, process the bpdu's locally or forward (tunnel) them?

According to the syntax you are using a post 15.1(2)EY IOS release as the 'l2protocol forward' command has been added from this image onwards (before only peer and tunnel options were available) to overcome and interoperability issue between 7600 and me3800x.

To make a long story short there is still some confusion (even in Cisco documentation) about the 3 options for the l2protocol command. The exact behaviors are not properly documented anywhere but they should be:

l2protocol peer: PDUs are processed locally

l2protocol tunnel: Overwrites the PDU-destination MAC address with a well-known Cisco proprietary multicast address (01-00-0c-cd-cd-d0)

l2protocol forward: forwards the PDU without any change or local processing (like the 7600 behavior) with multicast address 01-00-0c-cc-cc-cd.

By configuring l2protocol forward cdp you are instructing the switch to tunnel cdp but not specific intructions is given for STP BPDUs (and to be honest with you I don't know what the default behavior should be at this stage).

So, the question I asked before is coming back. What the ME3800x is supposed to do with those BPDUs?

Can you try to configure the correct l2protocol command matching the behavior you wish for BPDUs?

regards,

Riccardo

little addendum in case you still have the issue even though you change the l2protocol command.

If this is the case we need to know who is the root for MST and what is the MST status on the central switch and the 2 me3800x

for that we need from the 3 switches

show spanning

show spanning mst

and then

on central switch  3 times with a second interval (I would like to see BPDUs sent/received counters increasing).

show spann mst inter gi0/25

show spann mst inter gi0/27

on the 2x me3800x

show spann mst inter gi0/1 serv inst 1 (again 3 times with 1 second interval)

Hello,

About your case I suppose that the central switch is supposdely the root bridge, or it should be, correct?

>>Yes

About the BPDU's handling from Me3800x perspective, what those switches  should do, process the bpdu's locally or forward (tunnel) them?

>> Forward

Can you try to configure the correct l2protocol command matching the behavior you wish for BPDUs?

Yes , it is done.

I have a probleme, it is not possible !!

If I connect the switches on one ME-3800-X on two interfcace on same bridge-domaine > It  is OK. 

But on different ME-3800-X  with l2protocol forward >  it is not good.

on switch central

switch_A#sh cdp nei

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone,

D - Remote, C - CVTA, M - Two-port Mac Relay

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID

switch_A#

I post the show command as soon as possible.

Thanks,

ok

but beside the outputs I see from your confiuration that you have 'l2protocol forward cdp'. I don't see stp instead.

Can you try 'l2protocol forward stp' and if it does not work 'l2protocol tunnel stp' instead?

Riccardo

but beside the outputs I see from your confiuration that you have 'l2protocol forward cdp'. I don't see stp instead.

>> I have tested CDP for see if  "protocol forward"  is ok. but...

Can you try 'l2protocol forward stp' and if it does not work 'l2protocol tunnel stp' instead?

I have tested both cdp an STP, but no ok.

Cdlt,

AndrĆØ, at this stage I need to see the stp outputs.

Also, are you completely sure that you don't want the me3800x to process/partecipate in stp? if this is the case I expect to see an equivalent forward/tunnel command on the evc towards the rest of the ring. Do you have it.

Have you tried 'l2protocol peer stp' instead?

Please attach a complet config of the metro boxes indicating what is the interface connected to the ring.

Riccardo,

Excuse me for my bad english !

The ME-3800-X does not participate at spannig-tree, it's "provider".

It must be transparent at BPDUs and CDP packet of client site.

Tomorrow; i would give the configuration of ME-3800-X and best diagram of network.

Good night,

Riccardo,

In release note:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15.1_2_ey/release/notes/ol25360.html#wp952873

There is a Bug :

CSCtr63989

L2PT forward broken over VPLS

May be that this is ?

Andre',

that bug is pretty vague and criptic (also its internal notes are).

Apparently it says that the issue occurs only if forward key is used while with the tunnel key there is no problem. In your case it seems that nothing gets tunneled either ways.

Honestly I don't know if it is a match... deeper troubleshooting is needed.

You'd better open a TAC case and have somebody closely check your network and investigate around that bug too.

If you open it during EMEA hours you can tell the TAC engineer to contact me for background info.

Riccardo

Hello Riccardo,

After some tests :

- L2 forward protocol CDP STP on PW EoMPS is OK !!

But it is point to point.....

But not on VPLS.

I think my  configuration is good. It is not complicated.

But not on VPLS.

I have open a Case via my partner Cisco.

The partner has vƩrified my configuration.

Hi Andre',

sorry I have been pretty busy lately.

What is the outcome of the TAC case?

Riccardo

Hi Riccardo,

I have not of outcome of my case.

Cordialy,

Hi Riccardo,

It is a bug !

After a reload , it works.

After a configuration from scratch, it works.

When i modify the configuration in real time,I have a problem.

I would tell you what happens

Cordialy,

AndrƩ