Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS aware netflow

siamaher52
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I was just wndering if Cisco 7600 can or will support MPLS aware netflow with ES+ card as a PE. It looks like 7600 does not support this today. It would be nice if somebody can confirm this.

Thank You

Sia

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are welcome Sia.

Please rate and close the question wehn you are done with it.

Riccardo

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sia,

no the Cisco 7600 does not support MPLS aware Netflow (and it never will) on the ES+ either.

This is a limitation on current EARL7 based hardware. EARL8 overcomes this limitation but it is not available on 7600's.

Check also:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netflow/configuration/guide/cfg_mpls_netflow_ps6922_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1056718

regards,

Riccardo

Thank you so much.

Sia

You are welcome Sia.

Please rate and close the question wehn you are done with it.

Riccardo

Hi Riccardo, How about

MPLS Egress Netflow (“VRF Aware NDE”) . Can I use this feature to get netflow info from PE to PE?

Thanks

Sia

Hi Sia,

yes and no. No beacause you cannot use Egress Netflow for any type of traffic (IP nor MPLS) as egress netflow is not supported by the hardware.

Regarding a partial workaround you can indeed use the feature called "NDE on VRF Interfaces" which allows you to capture IPv4 traffic (still IP not MPLS though) that gets decapsulated (the MPLS label stack popped) and sent to an IP interface where a vrf is configured.

NOTE that 'VRF aware NDE' is something else    basically it is the feature that allows you configure a NMS collector in a non default vrf.

Going back to the feature I mentioned, to properly define it this is not capturing MPLS flows but it is more

appropriate to say that it is capturing IPv4 flows after they come out from a MPLS cloud where MPLS VPN is configured.

With this you can get some statistics (unidirectionally as the traffic coming from IP domain going to MPLS cloud cannot be captured) but ONLY IP traffic will be accounted this way (and switching performance gets slightly reduced as the box will perform a recirculation of all the traffic which is accounted).

That means that you will have NO label information whatsoever for the captured flow in your collector.

The command you need for that is "flow hardware mpls-vpn ip vrf-id".

Complete documentation is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SR/configuration/guide/nde.html#wp1146765 (specific to 7600) and also here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sr/12_2srb/feature/guide/nfvrfsrb.html#wp1059411.

Please aslo note that the second link is about 12.SR in general, which is also available for some software based router (i.e. 7200) so it might refers to sub features not supported on 7600 like egress netflow.

Have fun with the reading.

Riccardo

Thanks a lot.

Sia

Hello Sia,

If you don't aleady have a NetFlow MPLS reporting solution, we'd be interested in working with you.  We've done some work with Juniper's MPLS NetFlow export as well however, it was only sampled. We learned quite a bit.

I hope you got your answer from this thread.