cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS over Service Provider

CHARLES FRANCIS
Level 1
Level 1

We have 200+ locations using a provider's MPLS services and would like to run our own MPLS as well.  These sites are all over the world and it makes our lives easier to have them manage the basic connectivity.

Is it possible for us to run VRF's on top of the provider MPLS with gre tunnels going everywhere?  We have a need for 10 VRF's day 1 (guest, management, voice, etc) with the possibility to expand to 25 in the future.

thanks

3 Replies 3

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hello charles,

have you thought about CSC

Please go through below doc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2s/feature/guide/fs2scsc.html

Regards

Mahesh

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Charles,

given the number of locations I agree with Mahesh that using Carrier Supporting Carrier would be the best option.

However, I wonder if all these 200+ locations are really served by a single SP or your current L3 VPN can be the result of some forms of Inter-AS VPN.

This could make the CSC deployment more difficult.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

JoeKeegan3
Level 1
Level 1

As others have mentioned this is something CSC is intended to do, but I'm not sure if many SPs offer it to enterprises.

GRE tunnels are probably your most realistic bet combined with DMVPN (2547oDMVPN), but it's limited in the topology.

Another option you may want to look into is having you provider host multiple VPNs for you (some will charge others will not) and run multi-vrf CEs. You can connect the CEs via EVCs or Frame DLCIs to the PE for each VPN.

Both options are not nearly as ideal as label exchange with your provider, but I haven't run into one that offered it or would be willing to do it.

Check out this guide, it goes over a lot of the options that are available, assuming your carrier will not perform label exchange with you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/ngwane.html

Best of luck,

Joe