Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE Admission control

Mehdidz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I'm pretty new to the MPLS TE topic, and I've a question for which I can't find an answer on my readings

let's  assume that we have the topology in the attached diagram

IS-IS is used as the IGP; with MP-BGP for VPN traffic, PE to CE is eBGP

Every link is a 10 Mbps link of which 6 Mbps are used by TE,

every node has a master tunnel which has   a default tunnel and an LLQ tunnel

the TE metric has been left by the default (equal to the IGP metric)

every single  node has tunnel to all other nodes (full mesh tunnels)

all tunnel interfaces have the config bellow 

interface Tunnel10

description Tu RX (Master)

bandwidth 10000

ip unnumbered Loopback0

tunnel mode mpls traffic-eng

tunnel destination 169.254.1.2

tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce

tunnel mpls traffic-eng exp-bundle master

tunnel mpls traffic-eng exp-bundle member Tunnel11

tunnel mpls traffic-eng exp-bundle member Tunnel12

!

interface Tunnel11

description Tu Rx (Default)

bandwidth 6000

ip unnumbered Loopback0

load-interval 60

tunnel mpls traffic-eng priority 7 7

tunnel mpls traffic-eng bandwidth 4000

tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 10 dynamic

tunnel mpls traffic-eng record-route

tunnel mpls traffic-eng fast-reroute

tunnel mpls traffic-eng auto-bw frequency 300 adjustment-threshold 5 max-bw 4000 min-bw 1000

tunnel mpls traffic-eng exp default

!

interface Tunnel12

description Tu RX (LLQ)

bandwidth 4000

ip unnumbered Loopback0

tunnel mpls traffic-eng priority 7 7

tunnel mpls traffic-eng bandwidth sub-pool 2000

tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 10 dynamic

tunnel mpls traffic-eng record-route

tunnel mpls traffic-eng fast-reroute

tunnel mpls traffic-eng exp 5

My Questions are

1-     Having the default  MPLS TE metric equal to the IGP metric , and assuming that the path going to R9 through R8 is always the best path from an IGP point of view

the LSP being used to get from R1 to R9 is R1-R8-R9 and  all reservable bandwidth has been used (6 Mbps) , so we have 4 Mbps left on R8-R9

R2-R8-R9 is the best path (best Metric IGP/TE)

When RSVP signals the LSP to go to from R2 to R9 is the LSP going to be built using a less preferred path in terms of metric or will this result in and admission control failure?

2-     Is the sub-pool bandwidth dedicated from  the master tunnel interface or the Tunnel 12 ?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Kind regards

Mehdi

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mcusine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mehdi,

I am not sure if I undestood your question. But when you use MPLS TE with RSVP you can choice but path will follow to create the LSP, static or dynamic in you example you choice dynamic (follow the IGP metric path).

Now when the LSP try to make it the path followed goes trought the igp path, now RSPV will try to stablish the LSP with the bandwidth that you define.

Figure 1. RSVP Operation.

If the path have enought bandwidth the LSP will stablish and tunnel go up, but remember that is only admi reservation if you reserve 4MB and send 10MB of traffic the traffic will pass this is not a bandwidth guarantee.

I attach some interested links, one for concept and configuration :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4-3/mpls/configuration/guide/b_mpls_cg43xasr9k/b_mpls_cg43asr9k_chapter_010.html#con_1130655

And another from the support community.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/9784116/mpls-te-tunnel-bandwidth-and-ip-rsvp-bandwidth

I don't know this help you but I tried.

Regards,

Mauricio

View solution in original post

Hi Mehdi,

I think yes, because when RSVP send the path message he send over all posible paths, in this case the best path not enought bandwidth and suboptimal path yes, the LSP will créate over the suboptimal path.

King regards,

Hi Mehdi,

MPLS TE using RSVP-TE builds a topology including the SPF paths and non-SPF ones. Based on additional constraints such bandwidth, priority, affinity, etc,,, MPLS TE relies on Constraint-SPF to setup LSPs filling the ingress needs.

In your scenario RSVP-TE will setup a new LSP on the paths meeting the ingress traffic flows requirements regardless of the cost of the links in the tree.  

I hope this helps

4 Replies 4

mcusine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mehdi,

I am not sure if I undestood your question. But when you use MPLS TE with RSVP you can choice but path will follow to create the LSP, static or dynamic in you example you choice dynamic (follow the IGP metric path).

Now when the LSP try to make it the path followed goes trought the igp path, now RSPV will try to stablish the LSP with the bandwidth that you define.

Figure 1. RSVP Operation.

If the path have enought bandwidth the LSP will stablish and tunnel go up, but remember that is only admi reservation if you reserve 4MB and send 10MB of traffic the traffic will pass this is not a bandwidth guarantee.

I attach some interested links, one for concept and configuration :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4-3/mpls/configuration/guide/b_mpls_cg43xasr9k/b_mpls_cg43asr9k_chapter_010.html#con_1130655

And another from the support community.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/9784116/mpls-te-tunnel-bandwidth-and-ip-rsvp-bandwidth

I don't know this help you but I tried.

Regards,

Mauricio

Hi Mauricio,

When using dynamic path, thanks for your reply; let me try to rephrase my question pls:

If the best IGP path (R8-R9 on my diagram))has no more bandwidth left as per RSVP, when R2 wants to bring an LSP to R9 will this results in a creation of a new LSP (path over a sub-optimal path from an IGP point of view(like R2-R3-R4-R9) or will this result on an admission control failure and the new tunnel wont be up

Many thanks

Regards

Mehdi

Hi Mehdi,

I think yes, because when RSVP send the path message he send over all posible paths, in this case the best path not enought bandwidth and suboptimal path yes, the LSP will créate over the suboptimal path.

King regards,

Hi Mehdi,

MPLS TE using RSVP-TE builds a topology including the SPF paths and non-SPF ones. Based on additional constraints such bandwidth, priority, affinity, etc,,, MPLS TE relies on Constraint-SPF to setup LSPs filling the ingress needs.

In your scenario RSVP-TE will setup a new LSP on the paths meeting the ingress traffic flows requirements regardless of the cost of the links in the tree.  

I hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: