Views
Helpful
Replies

PE-PE connection

acharyr123
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Can i connect one of my PE to another PE?? Can someone highlight the pros & cons of such connectivity??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Partha,

As I indicated, you can do it with no problems. No special configuration or any other precautions are necessary. As a matter of fact, having two PEs connected in a back-to-back fashion may save you one label imposition/disposition because for usual VPN scenarios, the upper label will not be present because of Penultimate Hop Popping. Only the inner label (the VPN) label will be present, thereby decreasing the size of frames flowing between your PEs. That can be perceived an advantage, however, hardly one that would on itself justify connecting two PEs directly without having any other reason.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes, you can connect two PEs directly. Everything will work without problems.

However, can you be more specific why are you asking about this? The kind of connection between PEs (either direct or via intermediate P routers) is not a question of some "advantage" but more of a network size.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I meant, connecting 1 PE directly with another PE via direct fiber link...

Regards,

Partha

Hello Partha,

As I indicated, you can do it with no problems. No special configuration or any other precautions are necessary. As a matter of fact, having two PEs connected in a back-to-back fashion may save you one label imposition/disposition because for usual VPN scenarios, the upper label will not be present because of Penultimate Hop Popping. Only the inner label (the VPN) label will be present, thereby decreasing the size of frames flowing between your PEs. That can be perceived an advantage, however, hardly one that would on itself justify connecting two PEs directly without having any other reason.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter for your quick help..

Regards,

Partha

Hi Partha,

You are welcome.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi, It is possible to connect PE to another PE then it becomes CE there are well know designs for it Normally service providers uses this kind of design.

One use is that the carrier is not have reachablity in   certian places but they want connectivity throughout the country for there customers, in that case they use other service providers to carry  there customer traffic. It is called as carrier supporting carrier design different ways we use "CSC"

The configuration guide and detials mentioned below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0st/12_0st14/feature/guide/csc.html

Sudhin Jacob CCIE R&S,SP#28680

Thank you very much for your support.

Rgds,

Partha