Helpful
Replies

PPPoE SESSION ON CISCO 7206 ROUTER

bassomoserge
Level 1
Level 1

HI

Dear all

I have a problem of    understanting the concept of LINE CARD on a router. On our network we   are running C7203 and C7209 routers. The maximum sessions are :

• Maximum number of IP and PPPoE subscriber sessions supported per line card is 16000.

I want to know if we buy additionnal card the number of PPPoE subscriber sessions supported will be multiplied by 2.

Here  is my problem. We have have connected a DSLAM of  862 subscribers  behind a C7203 router. We translate private ip addresses  with a pool of  30 public ip addresses and we have a CPU usage of 72%.

We   have 5 others DSLAMs connected to a switch . These 5 DSLAMs support   4500 subscribers. Is it possible by buying 3 additionnal line cards on   my C7609 to have 64 000 sessions.

Also when CISCO says

• Maximum number of IP and PPPoE subscriber sessions supported per line card is 16000

does it means that in my case i have to connect each DSLAM on one particular line card?

Is   it possible to connect the cable from my switch on a C7609 router  (with  3 additionnal line cards ) and have a maximums PPPoE subscribers   sessions of 64000

Thx

1 Reply 1

yashfaqu
Level 1
Level 1

It depends, Im still confused about your question, are you talking about 7200 Box or 7600 Box ?

For 7600 box PPPoE is only supported on SIP-400 and ES+ Cards, where SIP can handle only 8K PPPoE and ES+ can handle 16000 Sessions.

And Yes, you can increase the PPPOE sessions by increasing the cards. and i believe the maximim session on one box is 65535.

But you should consult your Cisco AM before deploying these solutions for better design.