Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Segment Routing to Replace 6PE | IOS-XE Configuration

I'm trying to confirm SR to replace 6PE in a lab that I'm running. I've attached a couple of pictures to show how I understand the setup to work (and to show how bad my handwritting is and how much I love to color code )

Firstly this is how I understand 6PE to work (assuming 2001:CAFE:BABE::/64 is a subnet which PE2 is receiving from some CE that isn't shown):

6PE.jpg

Stock standard 6PE. So to migrate to SR, I deploy v6 across the core, enable v6 loopbacks with appropriate Node-SIDs, and establish native IPv6 Unicast BGP sessions to the reflectors. SR is enabled and preferred. The setup should work as follows:

SR.jpg

Im trying to set my lab up as you see above. But PE2 is IOS-XE and I cannot, for the life of me, find out how to give an IPv6 Loopback address a Node SID. IOS-XR is easy:

router isis LAB
 interface Loopback0
  passive
  address-family ipv4 unicast
   prefix-sid absolute 16401
  !
  address-family ipv6 unicast
   prefix-sid absolute 16001
  !

And I can see that SID advertised into IS-IS:

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:PE1#sh isis database verbose PE1.00-00
<snip>
  IPv6 Address:   2001:1ab::1
  Metric: 0          MT (IPv6 Unicast) IPv6 2001:1ab::1/128
    Prefix-SID Index: 1, Algorithm:0, R:0 N:1 P:0 E:0 V:0 L:0
    Prefix Attribute Flags: X:0 R:0 N:1
<snip>

But when I do the same thing on IOS-XE it seems I cant even configure a v6 node SID:

PE2#sh run | sec segment-routing
segment-routing mpls
 !
 set-attributes
  address-family ipv4
   sr-label-preferred
  exit-address-family
 !
 connected-prefix-sid-map
  address-family ipv4
   2.2.2.2/32 absolute 16402 range 1
  exit-address-family
 !
 segment-routing mpls
PE2#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
PE2(config)#segment-routing mpls
PE2(config-srmpls)# connected-prefix-sid-map
PE2(config-srmpls-conn)#address-family ?
  ipv4  Address Family

PE2(config-srmpls-conn)#

Have I understood the concepts correctly and can someone advise what the correct syntax is? Every time I search for IPv6 Node SID I get hit with SRv6 papers, which is not what I'm after.

I can provider fuller configs if needed, but my actual lab is a bit different (hostnames, SID values etc) so it wont match exactly what is above, but the principle is the same. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So after speaking with Cisco, they've confirmed that IOS-XE does not support IPv6 SR MPLS - and there are no plans on the roadmap to do so at this time. 

However SRv6 (using a v6 header in the data plane rather than an MPLS label) will be supported on XE in the near future. We'll keep using 6PE until then. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

So after speaking with Cisco, they've confirmed that IOS-XE does not support IPv6 SR MPLS - and there are no plans on the roadmap to do so at this time. 

However SRv6 (using a v6 header in the data plane rather than an MPLS label) will be supported on XE in the near future. We'll keep using 6PE until then. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: