Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Farm in the MPLS CORE

Hello,

I think I am overcomplicating myself in thinking how can I attach a server farm into my CORE P Switches.

My network in brief has 2 6509 switches as the P routers (10G between them) these then connect to 7609 routers which are my main PEs with Internet connectivity from several providers.

My first questions is: for redundancy should I have my 2 6509 core Switches (P Switches) connected to both my 7600 PE routers ? I mean, currently I have SW1(6509) connected to my RTR1-PE1(7609) and then this connects to multiple Internet service providers and clients(L3 VPNs). My SW1 then connects to my SW2(6509 on the other DC). This SW2 then connects to its own RTR2-PE2(7609) who also connects to multiple Internet service providers and clients(L3 VPNs). My question is should I add links from RTR1-PE1 to SW2 and from RTR2-PE2 to SW1 ?

My Core switches (SW1 and SW2) are pure P routers (they don't run BGP) and I want to attach a couple of switches (acting as access switches) with 3 or 4 server farms. My question is:

- I want these server farms to be accessed by some clients, therefore I need to put these server farms in VRFs, now how should I do this ? I'm thinking about 2 approaches

1 - Switching the traffic to the PEs and then (somehow ?) stick the server farm lans into VRFs

OR

2 - Configure BGP on the 2 core switches and then bang them farms into the VRFs

3 - Configure the Access Switches as PE Switches/Routers and go from there ...

What do you think would be the better approach ? Or any other ?

Thanks in advanced

Nuno Ferreira

20 Replies 20

Giuseppe, another quick one ..

What are the limitations/restritions of the WS-X6724-SFP module in a MPLS scenario (I'm using that module on my 6500s switches and just read that Q-in-Q is not supported on these modules ... though according to my topology i wont be needing Q-in-Q on the P switches i believe ... ???)

Cheers

Nuno Ferreira

Hello Nuno,

thanks for your kind remarks

in the MPLS configuration guide for 12.2SXH I don't see specific limitations for specific linecards

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/pfc3mpls.html#wp1337844

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks again Giuseppe,

As you probably already understood I'm going to carry out major changes in our carrier and therefore I'm kind of using you to give me a help on some subjects which i dont feel 100% confortable yet.

I wanted to ask you another question (this is purely a matter of preference).

As i told you above i have only IGP running on the P switches. I was thinking that maybe it would be preferable if i run iBGP as well on the P switches (maybe even as route reflectors ?) and avoid the redistribution processes of BGP into OSPF in the PE routers ?

Thanks

Nuno Ferreira

Hello Nuno,

actually P nodes don't need to know how to route packets until they are forwarded in MPLS frames in LSPs that have destination loopbacks of PE nodes.

This is an MPLS exclusive advantage.

In case you need routing knowledge I would prefer to extend iBGP on them rather then redistributing from BGP into OSPF.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Of course ...

My IGP contains information about the Connected Networks and Loopbacks (basically it establishes connectivity within the domain) and then BGP on the PE nodes. All the rest is carried by MPLS Labels.

Do you know where to find any documentation for MPLS Interconnect ? What i want is to eventually interconnect my MPLS Network to another carrier's MPLS Network in order to reach all the branches of customer X .... do you know where to find documentation for this ?

Thanks for your precious help

Nuno Ferreira