Views
Helpful
Replies

show mpls ldp bindings vrf <vrf_name> gives me error "TIB not enabled"

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hi experts,

I'm preparing my CCIE RS exam and I have this very simple MPLS VPN network setup on the GNS3. Everything works fine regarding to the VPN sites reachability, VRF routing table, ...etc. However when I run this command show mpls ldp bindings vrf <vrf_name> I got this error

"TIB not enabled"

I want to find a command to show me the lable assigned to the "customer network" by the PE router on the same side. I know the label is "21" becuase on another side the PE router "show ip cef vrf <vrf_name> <IP> <mask> detail" shows both labels that will be used for this VPN "tags imposed: {17 21}".

Is this error the problem with GNS3 or it's just not supported by the Software (C3725-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T14?

Thanks,

Difan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Customer labels are not assigned by LDP. Customer labels are assigned by BGP. What you should do instead is:

show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf test

show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf test labels

show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf test X.X.X.X/X

The command you were trying to issue looks at IPv4 LDP labels for routes in the VRF. You would see that when running CSC (carrier supporting carrier), but NOT in a regular MPLS VPN. And by the way, the reason why that command failed is because you don't have any non-Loopback IP-addressed interfaces in that VRF that have "mpls ip" configured. Try configuring "mpls ip" on a CE facing interface, and you should see some output, but that's NOT the information you are looking for.

Good luck with your CCIE lab!

P.S. Never blame dynamips (GNS3)! Always praise dynamips! LOL!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Customer labels are not assigned by LDP. Customer labels are assigned by BGP. What you should do instead is:

show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf test

show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf test labels

show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf test X.X.X.X/X

The command you were trying to issue looks at IPv4 LDP labels for routes in the VRF. You would see that when running CSC (carrier supporting carrier), but NOT in a regular MPLS VPN. And by the way, the reason why that command failed is because you don't have any non-Loopback IP-addressed interfaces in that VRF that have "mpls ip" configured. Try configuring "mpls ip" on a CE facing interface, and you should see some output, but that's NOT the information you are looking for.

Good luck with your CCIE lab!

P.S. Never blame dynamips (GNS3)! Always praise dynamips! LOL!

Roman,

Thank you for responding so fast!! I never got this quick response anywhere else in this forum lol I guess I need to visit here more!

You definitely got my questions answered! The 2nd command got me exactly what I need.

This is my first week in the MPLS world... It's not easy... I don't think I need to get in too deep since I'm just taking R&S exam but I will for sure bother you guys if I run into any other issues.

Thanks,

Difan

This and Cisco Learning Network (https://learningnetwork.cisco.com) are the best two communities you'll find to help you with your studies. I don't use CLN much and prefer here (NetPro) as it's more real world questions, and I myself learn when answering them. I also use it plenty myself to ask questions about something I run into during an install or design. You can usually expect an answer within a day from someone who had actually experienced the issue in a real network.

When you finish your R&S, look into SP track, the most fun track of all of them.

Roman,

I will for sure check that forum out!

If I could pass the R&S, I will take a long break first and show it off to everybody.

Thanks again!

Difan

Difan, that's what everyone says, but the week after you pass it you'll have the "2nd CCIE itch"